Is finasteride thinning my hair?

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

Steven85
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Is finasteride thinning my hair?

Post by Steven85 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:38 am

I am 26 years old and over the last year I have noticed that the hair on my temples has started receding. Otherwise my hair has always been thick and I have no problems at my crown.

Three weeks ago I started taking finasteride (proscar divided in 4) as an attempt to stop further hair loss. My goal is to keep what I have, any regrowth would be a bonus.

The last days I have noticed that the hair on my hairline is thinner now than it was before I started. As I said I have always had thick hair. This has gotten me really concerned. I have read about the initial shedding that sometimes occurs when starting finasteride, but the thing is I dont really see any substantial shedding. I just notice that my hair is thinning.

So to my questions: Is it normal to see the hair on the hairline thinning after just three weeks on finasteride? And will I get the thick hair I had before starting finasteride back? Now I am wondering if I should stop taking it or continue. Just feels very frustrating to see my hair thinning like this when I have never had a problem with thinning hair. The problem was just the hair on my temples receding.

I have heard about initial shedding, and have read that it is a sign that the finasteride is working. But in my case, when I am not noticing shedding, just thinning hair, what does that mean?

And one more thing: I have recently ordered nizoral shampoo and rogaine foam that I had planned to use in combination with finasteride. Now however I am scared to start using it. Could this mean even more thinning hair?

I would be so happy to get the thick hair I had before starting finasteride three weeks ago back.

I would greatly appreciate a response.

Junavo
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: food supplements

Re: Is finasteride thinning my hair?

Post by Junavo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:51 am

Just give it a try/ :)