Help with scalp problems

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

bobo101
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Help with scalp problems

Post by bobo101 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:09 pm

I've been looking on the internet for something that describes my situation for a while but I've been having no luck. So if someone could help me with it I would really appreciate it.

So a little over a year ago I dyed my hair at home. I was 23 years old and before that never had a problem with my scalp and had a full head of hair (I never even had dandruff). About two to three weeks after I noticed I could see my scalp a little. Shortly after that my scalp became very itchy and I noticed a lot more hair was falling out after a shower and throughout the day. I had someone look at it and they said my scalp was red and there were a few bumps. I just figured this was an allergic reaction but the symptoms have persisted for a year and I still have them today. The hair on my crown is very thin at this point and my scalp is becoming pretty visible. The dermatologist I went to perscribed me clobex but that didn't help. Right now I'm using T-Gel to help with the itch. It helps a little but won't totally get rid of it and my scalp is still red and hair is still falling out.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of anything like this. I don't think it could be an allergic reaction because the dye has been gone for months, unless there is some type of severe reaction I'm not aware of. If anyone has any ideas or has heard of something like this before I'd like to hear it.

Fizzball
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Re: Help with scalp problems

Post by Fizzball » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:31 am

Hair dye is kinda a tricky one, I have heard of a number of people have some very nasty reactions to it and sadly hair dye is never consistent within its dosage of certain ingredients much of which is often not fully disclosed therefore they should be approached with caution and should be patch tested prior to use each and every time.

I have seen some peoples face swell up and become red, whilst others have lost their hair in clumps, my very own mother believes to be suffering from a similar issue as you are and has since opted to discontinue the use of dyes in her hair, I'm not sure of what to really offer you in terms of a solution but I would recommend using a high quality shampoo/conditioner on a daily basis and keep the water at a moderate temperature (not overly hot) and if at all possible a steam treatment followed by a towel dry of your hair and perhaps a nice towel wrap over your head rather than a hair dryer but if need be use a hair dryer on a cool to moderate temperature which should be enough to dry your hair after a towel dry/wrap this will assist in scalp conditioning and help retain moisture in the scalp.

I have heard the use of baking soda mixed with almond oil may help but have not ever tried it personally.

I'm not sure what I could possibly offer beyond that of a dermatologist but perhaps a Trichologist could help find a resolve to your problem as they tend to deal specifically with the health of the hair and scalp.
Don't mistake my optimism for stupidity