Hair transplants and the beyond

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

Fizzball
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Hair transplants and the beyond

Post by Fizzball » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:57 pm

I was just having an interesting thought concerning Hair Transplants and the future developments in the hair regrowth sector, now lets just say you got yourself a Hair transplant and then Histogen came up with there super magnificent injecto-hair would that mean that the areas of hair transplant will suddenly start looking like an out of control chia-pet LoL, surely if the future holds such regenerative power wouldn't the areas which received donor hair suddenly be covered with both new hair and transplanted hairs causing a density overgrowth?
Don't mistake my optimism for stupidity

Anxious1
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II A

Re: Hair transplants and the beyond

Post by Anxious1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:26 pm

i dont know wat miracles will happen in the future, within a few hundreds of yrs i have no doubt there will be some super laser that repairs skin and hair instantly or something, at least i hope there will be.

for now though with the next breakthrough just '5 yrs' away, lol ( no i dont believe that)
i read that transplants damage existing follicles and skin so that even if old or miniturized hairs could regrow, they cant now with these transplants taking up all the space.

makes sense to me, they are taking small segments of tissue and implanting it in the front, there cant be room for both.

its just wat i heard though, i have been known to be wrong.

Fizzball
Prolific Poster

Post by Fizzball » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:56 pm

Isn't it funny how its always 5 years away, as far as I am aware there are 5 phases of Research and Development and the leading names are at best half way between phase II so it most certainly suggests that it could be a long while before we see any developments given the pace they have been moving at.

Interesting thought Anxious1, it does sound plausible that damage can be done but something about recent developments give me a sense that this is not true, follica for instance I believe deals with wounding the scalp and also patients that receive a hair transplant are almost always advised to use minoxidil or propecia to help create density in all areas so perhaps it is still possible regrow hair in those areas.

Its so hard to speculate on such matters though, since we don't have any detailed information on any of the new products and how they work, maybe a little Q&A with them all might help without all the commercial hoopla would help.
Don't mistake my optimism for stupidity

marycorbitt

Post by marycorbitt » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:25 am

This is something that I really don't want to experience and I hope I really would not. I'm scared of losing some hair, bit I hope some medications would still work.