vitamin D and finasteride side effects

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

olby
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: finasteride 2 years
nizoral 1 year

vitamin D and finasteride side effects

Post by olby » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:25 am

Just curious, has anyone noticed any reversal of finasteride side effects while taking vitamin D supplements?
I've been taking them for two weeks now and it seems like some of the sexual side effects have been reduced quite a bit.
i'd swear my hairs gotten thicker/regrown in some places too.

Jocko59
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Treatment Regimen: Ecklonia Cava

Re: vitamin D and finasteride side effects

Post by Jocko59 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:35 am

How much Vitamin D are you taking? What dosage?

Anxious1
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II A

Post by Anxious1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:03 pm

with regards to ur statements about thickening and possible regrowth in 2 weeks, ill refer u to a post i made about miconazole, which im not saying doesnt work because i dont know, only that if it does, clear results will take 6months or so to become visable.
i dont mean to be rude, but how much difference can there be after 3 weeks. you say theres non pigmented stubble indicating these hairs have come though at least a little bit, perhaps a fraction of a millimetre, when u add this to the feww millimetres of growth that occurs from the root to the skin, surely it must take longer than 3 weeks, and thats assuming it started to grow the day u applied it.

most things seem to need a few months to effect the hair growth cycle, then time either for hair to shed, and regrow, or new hairs to regrow from root to scalp, then outwards.

i hope it works for you, but anyone that thinks they can see a difference in photos after 3 weeks apart from variation of the cuticle, which may result in cosmetic thickening, is kidding themselves.

i'd much rather you took pictures now, tried it for 6 months, took more pics, then came back to show us the pics , and your conclusion.
now that post doesnt make much sense, applied to this thread, but u see wat im saying.

on average hair grows 1/2 an inch per month, sometimes faster sometimes slower. so for a week, 1/4 of that, which is 1/8th on an inch.

so even if ur hair starts growing thicker the day u start using it, which is impossible, but anyway, after one week only 1/8th on an inch will be thicker, the rest of the hair will be as it was previously. Thats 1/8th starting from the root, and first it must grow to the surface of the skin before its visable, so u can see, its impossible for any growth that is thicker to be visable. If anything it might have just pertruded the surface of the skin.

cosmetic difference in the thickness of the the whole hair shaft does occur due to different shampoos and topicals and watnot, buts its only variation in the cuticle that is temporary. its not hair actually growing thicker.

same goes for regrowth, if vit d has caused regrowth, even if it starts regrowing the first day u take it, in one week the hair has only grown 1/8th of an inch starting from the root, so probably hasnt even pertruded the skin yet. which is entirely hypothetical, because nothing will cause hair regrowth to commense the very first day u start using it.

so watever thickness ur seeing is purely cosmetic, and any regrowth ur seeing is either miniturized hairs on there way out, or bumfluff that has always been there.

EVEN IF REGROWTH AND THICKER GROWTH IS BEING CAUSED BY A TREATMENT, ITS IMPOSSIBLE FOR IT TO BE VISABLE AFTER 1,2,3 WEEKS, AND PROBABLY NOT FOR MONTHS.

Charlie Bradley
Regular Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood IV A
Treatment Regimen: Nioxin System 3 Shampoo, Conditioner, serum,
Nioxin vitamins,
Rexall B Complex vitamins (with Biotin
Nizoral
Neutrogena TGel
Paul Mitchell Formula One shampoo

Post by Charlie Bradley » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:26 am

Anxious you also have to consider that everyone's hair grows, sheds, and begins to grow again at different rates. While I don't believe anyone will go from completely bald to full head of hair in merely a matter of weeks, I do wholly believe that people could start to see some signs of potential for regrowth, and even some regrowth in spots as olby said. Since I have been using Miconazole Nitrate (thanks for using a quote you made based on one of my posts) I am noticing a change in the texture of my scalp: places which have been smooth and shiny for years are now beginning to feel a sensation like you would if you ran your fingers across a piece of velvet fabric. I've got some VERY definite growth at the vertex and you can see my vertex transition point beginning to fill in For you I would recommend trying the Miconazole and the Vitamin D as olby is doing, then report back to us after about three or four weeks with your results :)

Charlie Bradley
Regular Poster
Nioxin vitamins,
Nizoral
Neutrogena TGel

Post by Charlie Bradley » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:33 am

And also as anyone knows bumfluff (which for those of you whom had never previously heard the term is akin to a 5:00 Shadow) can and does grow into full beard with the proper cultivation :)

Anxious1
Prolific Poster

Post by Anxious1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:00 pm

i dont know where to begin. I think ill work backwards. These r just my opinions, hopefully more ppl will back them up, im not trying to start confrontation.
And also as anyone knows bumfluff (which for those of you whom had never previously heard the term is akin to a 5:00 Shadow) can and does grow into full beard with the proper cultivation :)
i dont know what the correct meaning of this is, but when i said it, i was refering to the tiny non-pigmented hairs on various places. I think its another term for vellis, but im not sure. And i presume when u say 'cultivation', u refer to the myth that facial hair regrows thicker each time u shave it. This is a myth. The reason either facial hair or scalp hair seems thicker after being shaven, is because all hair is thicker at the base. thus if u shave it the total area of hair will appear larger. As it grows it will grow thiner, and be exactly the same diameter it was previously. the amount of facial hair does increase with age, or more vellis turn into termial hairs, making a thicker beard, but the diameter of each individual hair does not change the more u shave it, ur just cutting through a thicker diameter when u cut it at the bottom, than if u cut it through the top. I hope this makes sense, maybe someone else can explain it better.

Anxious1
Prolific Poster

Post by Anxious1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:14 pm

Anxious you also have to consider that everyone's hair grows, sheds, and begins to grow again at different rates
I am aware of this, hence why i said the AVERAGE growth rate is 1/8th inch per week, sometimes more sometimes less. Science is usually based on averages, depending on how exact it must be, its usually the data that falls within the average + 1,2 or 3 standard deviations on a standard distribution. In biochemistry, i'm taught to except data that falls within the average and 2 std deviations. which includes around 95% of the participants. sometimes no error is acceptible.

in any case, the growth cycles and rates are similar for everyone. Even an extreme case with miraculous growth rates, and fast hair cycles still wouldnt see any visable regrowth or thicker hair growth in a week. Remember all my post above was based on the assumption that watever treatment starts to regrow hair the day the treatment is started, then it needs a certain amount of time for that hair to grow and come through the skin. Yet this is impossible. Nothing will start hair regrowing or growing thicker from the second it is applied. It needs time to affect the growth cycles. I was just basing my argument on a hypothetical scenario for the sake of argument.

Anxious1
Prolific Poster

Post by Anxious1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:16 pm

I do wholly believe that people could start to see some signs of potential for regrowth
theres a big difference between 'potential' for regrowth, and actual regrowth, or hair growing thicker.

alot of companies use the motto 'creates the perfect environment for optimal hair regrowth'.

yet that does not mean hair will regrow.

Anxious1
Prolific Poster

Post by Anxious1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:21 pm

places which have been smooth and shiny for years are now beginning to feel a sensation like you would if you ran your fingers across a piece of velvet fabric. I've got some VERY definite growth at the vertex and you can see my vertex transition point beginning to fill in
which is it? a sensation like velvet?, or very definate regrowth? these are completely different things. People can be totally bald and still have a velvet like sensation when they touch there heads. If its definate regrowth, then who am i to say ur lying or mistaken. Ill simply refer u to my other comments regarding regrowth in weeks, and say, how can u be sure it isnt something u were previously using for months.

Anxious1
Prolific Poster

Post by Anxious1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:26 pm

I would recommend trying the Miconazole and the Vitamin D as olby is doing, then report back to us after about three or four weeks with your results
first of all the vit D guy is reporting results after 1 week, not 3 or 4 weeks. Which is 3 or 4 times as unlikly as it was for u reporting results after 3 weeks.

secondly, if i did try it, i would know not to claim results after 1, 2, 3 or 4 weeks once i apply some scientific logic to my thinking. I'd try it for 6 months - a yr, then give some conclusions on whether it worked or not.

anyway, theres no harm in thinking it works, and nothing would make me happier than something that could start to regrow hair in that timeframe, but when u start shouting out to thousands of forum readers that its working , its working, i am sorry but i have to step in and apply some logic to it, and state that u are mistaken.

Charlie Bradley
Regular Poster
Nioxin vitamins,
Nizoral
Neutrogena TGel

Post by Charlie Bradley » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:07 pm

Your point about various treatments "creating the optimal environment for hair growth" is very well taken with me. My stylist preached Nioxin Nioxin Nioxin Nioxin to me for over a year before I finally tried it for the first time nearly three years ago. Could it be that after nearly three years the Nioxin has finally and suddenly started working? That I do not know--I just know the changes in my scalp since I began using the Miconazole Nitrate some 30 days ago. Is it working? I can't say that for certain either but I can, again, say that there have been some definite changes to my scalp. I will not know that for a few more months after I evaluate my regimen as it is, then start the process of elimination and see what happens on my scalp

I was not trying to start a confrontation with you and I am wholly sorry if I did. You do make some valid points for those of us whom are constantly bombarded with commercials touting Bosley this, Rogaine that, or ScalpMed whatever that nothing is going to work overnight. We didn't lose our hair overnight and we shouldn't expect to get it back overnight.

The Bald area of my scalp does indeed have a sensation you would feel if you ran your finger across a piece of velvet fabric. I found from reading http://www.keratin.com/aa/aa026.shtml that I may be experiencing some hair which is about to break through the skin and some which may have already broken through the skin albeit a very short length and lacking in pigment. Is it too far a leap to believe that the scalp would have a different feeling if (A) some hair was about to break through the epidermis of the scalp or (B) some hair has already broken through the epidermis if the scalp. For what its worth I did not notice these changes to my scalp overnight after I started using the Miconazole, it was nearly two weeks, probably a week and a half later. While I am FAR from ready to claim victory I, again, know the difference I have seen since I started the Miconazole.