Hair loss may be slowed by adding soy milk to your diet

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

neha123
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Hair loss may be slowed by adding soy milk to your diet

Post by neha123 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:49 am

consuming soy milk and other soy products could reduce hair loss and male pattern baldness. How? When the body breaks down isoflavones from soy products, one of the resulting compounds is equol, which blocks a form of testosterone called DHT that has been linked with hair loss and baldness. The hair loss prescription drug, Propecia, works in much the same way by blocking the conversion of testosterone into DHT.

San-de
Occasional Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II A
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Topically currently using Elsom terminals 1/2, emu oil, dermaheal, and lamas shampoo.
Internally I take selenium, green tea phytosomes, biotin, ashwagndha, GliSODin, Probiotics, ecklonia cava extract and IH top 6 (except for curcumin), and from time to time I have also taken Avodart.
I also eat a clean diet.

Re: Hair loss may be slowed by adding soy milk to your diet

Post by San-de » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:06 am

to be honest dude I have taken soy isoflavones-- the life extension brand-- in the past for months at a time and didn't notice any significant difference in my hair. everything your saying is true but its effectiveness in combating dht is ultimately safer but less effective than drugs like finasteride. i only say this from my own experience-- therefore the only evidence I can provide is anecdotal but I've taken soy isoflavones, massive amounts of cruciferous vegetables--broccoli is also known to inhibit dht, saw palmetto, black tea, green tea, pomegranate, pygeum, and other dht inhibitors of note only to slight effect and absolutely ZERO regrowth. I do feel it at least slowed my hairloss, but some people want to stop it completely. Also I am worried about information I have heard concerning soys ability to inhibit iron absorption and its anti-nutrient effects. Than of course there is also the potential for the fats in soy to become carcinogenic as well, so for these reasons I keep soy out of my diet now.