Nizoral shampoo reduces sex drive/testosterone?

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

timh
Norwood Level: Norwood I
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Just starting to learn

Nizoral shampoo reduces sex drive/testosterone?

Post by timh » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:01 am

Beside the hair on my head, will Nizoral shampoo 1% affect my sex drive or testosterone levels in any way?

Please show me where you got your information.

Thank you

Fizzball
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Re: Nizoral shampoo reduces sex drive/testosterone?

Post by Fizzball » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:39 pm

I don't have information to suggest that it doesn't but I guess I should ask where is your information to suggest that it does because I certainly never had a problem when I was using it.
Some people will lose the sex drive during this stage in their hair loss treatment due to depression creeping in from it all, hair loss is a terrible thing to occur and can cause a lot of unrelated problems and heartache.
Don't mistake my optimism for stupidity

ShaveTail
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Treatment Regimen: Spectral DNC-L (AM)
Generic liquid Minoxidil (PM)
Retin-A
Topical green tea

Re: Nizoral shampoo reduces sex drive/testosterone?

Post by ShaveTail » Wed May 26, 2010 7:08 pm

FYI: if it is applied to your skin it can be absorbed systemically. That's why topical fin never really materialized--most people who have tried it report the same side effects.

But what amount? The amount that absorbs is probably less since there isn't alcohol involved, but keto IS used for fungal infections as a cream...:
Ketoconazole - Clinical Pharmacology
http://www.drugs.com/pro/ketoconazole-cream.html
When Ketoconazole cream, 2% was applied dermally to intact or abraded skin of Beagle dogs for 28 consecutive days at a dose of 80 mg, there were no detectable plasma levels using an assay method having a lower detection limit of 2 ng/ml.

After a single topical application to the chest, back and arms of normal volunteers, systemic absorption of Ketoconazole was not detected at the 5 ng/ml level in blood over a 72-hour period.

Two dermal irritancy studies, a human sensitization test, a phototoxicity study and a photoallergy study conducted in 38 male and 62 female volunteers showed no contact sensitization of the delayed hypersensitivity type, no irritation, no phototoxicity and no photoallergenic potential due to Ketoconazole cream, 2%.

Read more: http://www.drugs.com/pro/ketoconazole-c ... z0p5yoWaEy
Hmmmm. So say the toxicity reports they submitted to the FDA. And no drug company has ever lied in their FDA trials, right?. But if that's so...then why is 2% prescription only??

Okay, that doesn't really answer your question, does it? That stuff makes me nervous, even though I've used both kinds of shampoo and the cream at various times. 'Course, I've tried just about everything even marginally safe. I'll save you some time: the only thing that's ever really and truly worked for me was topical spiro and that %&$! is so toxic it is just plain scary. I actually had a bout of shingles while using it--at 27! My doctor was baffled until spiro came up: it can be used for immunosupression. Aint life a kick in the balls?