Scientists discover the secret of ageing- plays down the role of telomeres

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Scientists discover the secret of ageing- plays down the role of telomeres

Post by Jacob » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:27 pm

“The telomere story has over-promised and the biology is more complicated.”
His colleague Thomas von Zglinicki emphasised caution in the research’s next stage – to investigate ways to prevent cellular senescence.
Full article:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/436a39a0-1a6e ... ab49a.html
Scientists discover the secret of ageing

By Clive Cookson in London

Published: February 15 2010 23:00 | Last updated: February 15 2010 23:00

One of the biggest puzzles in biology – how and why living cells age – has been solved by an international team based at Newcastle University, in north-east England.

The answer is complex, and will not produce an elixir of eternal life in the foreseeable future.

But the scientists expect better drugs for age-related illnesses, such as diabetes and heart disease, to emerge from their discovery of the biochemical pathway involved in ageing.

The Newcastle team, working with the University of Ulm in Germany, used a comprehensive “systems biology” approach, involving computer modelling and experiments with cell cultures and genetically modified mice, to investigate why cells become senescent. In this aged state, cells stop dividing and the tissues they make up show physical signs of deterioration, from wrinkling skin to a failing heart.

The research, published by the journal Molecular Systems Biology, shows that when an ageing cell detects serious damage to its DNA – caused by the wear and tear of life – it sends out specific internal signals.

These distress signals trigger the cell’s mitochondria, its tiny energy-producing power packs, to make oxidising “free radical” molecules, which in turn tell the cell either to destroy itself or to stop dividing. The aim is to avoid the damaged DNA that causes cancer.

The Newcastle discovery plays down the role of telomeres, the protective tips on the ends of human chromosomes, which gradually become shorter as we grow older.

“There has been a huge amount of speculation about how blocking telomere erosion might cure ageing and age-related diseases,” said Tom Kirkwood, director of Newcastle’s Institute of Ageing and Health. “The telomere story has over-promised and the biology is more complicated.”

He added: “Our breakthrough means that we stand a very much better chance of making a successful attack on age-related diseases while at the same time avoiding the risk of unwanted side-effects like cancer.”

His colleague Thomas von Zglinicki emphasised caution in the research’s next stage – to investigate ways to prevent cellular senescence.

“It is absolutely essential to tread carefully in trying to alter processes that cause cells to age, because the last thing we want is to help age-damaged cells from breaking out to become malignant,” said Mr von Zglinicki.

Joanne
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)

Re: Scientists discover the secret of ageing- plays down the role of telomeres

Post by Joanne » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:13 pm

Fascinating. Darwinism on a cellular level ... survival of the fittest. From an evolutionary point of view, this makes real sense.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:38 am

Or from a non-evolutionary point of view..darn, amazing how complex things are..eh? :wink:

perga
Prolific Poster

Post by perga » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:22 pm

If you are a creationist, evolution is the wrong battle to fight. There are mountains of data supporting the theory of evolution. A better target would be the origins of the first cell... which is yet to be truly explained (and reproduced).

There are some cool theories about the origins of life though. In a biochemistry book I've got it talks about how RNA can store information (duh), but also, catalyze reactions. They have also shown that nucleic acids form naturally under conditions likely present in primordial earth. If you end up with a soup of nucleic acids that randomly combine into various RNA segments, then eventually you will end up with an RNA segment that can catalyze its own reproduction. AKA survival of the fittest, aka the origins of reproduction and evolution.

The real tricky part is getting that RNA segment inside a membrane that allows continued reproduction/cell division/all the things that make a cell, a cell. THAT is where creationists should be taking this fight... continuing to deny evolution, however, is silly, imo. I believe the vatican has actually (quietly) taken this stance in the very recent past.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Actually there is not mountains of evidence to support evolution. There is not even one set of transitional fossils out there. When I used to "debate" this in related forums..ppl would direct me to a page/article/whatever that showed drawings etc of such a thing..but no actual fossils. When this was pointed out..it ended there. And btw..you can't get "life"..with the "conditions likely present in primordial earth" ..without saying how that earth got here. The size of it. How it's designed(ha). The water. The correct distance from the sun. The moon. How everything is in perfect rotation. Gravity. etc etc.

Let's carry this on(if needed) in the General section though..I know some are going to be pissed that it's not telomores that are key(watch that change, too)..but that doesn't mean we have to change topics here. :lol: Posts will be moved over there....

perga
Prolific Poster

Post by perga » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:13 pm

Though I could most definitely respond to all that, I shall refrain. This is a hair loss website, and we are balding brothers and sisters... why muck that up with unnecessary controversy.

Besides, you know all the good hair loss products, so I don't want to get on your bad side and end up nairing my head on your suggestion haha

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:12 am

:lol:

Hey wait..I don't suggest things :L

Back to the original subject..I wonder how the TA-65 folks will respond to this. For those not familiar: http://tasciences.com/ta-65.html?gclid= ... 7QodxDTOkg