Just a question.

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

Brunz19
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Just a question.

Post by Brunz19 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:09 pm

Okay, well I was looking at pictures from when I was around 17/18 and geeze do I miss the way my hair used to be. But then I got to thinking about some stuff. I remember my sides kind of thinning out around this time, but that was no big deal, and then I remember my crown having a harder time standing up when trying to style at around 18 and a half. I remember my temple region seemed to be getting slightly thinner in early 2007, but I didn't really start showing noticeable recession and thinning till mid to late 07. So in about 1 year (by mid 08) I had gone to about a light, sometimes well hidden slightly diffused NW III V. I say light because there are no actual slick bald spots. Just smaller thinned out hair. Not really vellus, because they are pigmented and not that short.

As of now, the top of my head is definitely more sparse then just 3 years ago.

Does that seem like too quick a time to get that bad, or does that seem normal?

I've been combating this disease since mid 2008, and I can't honestly tell if I've stopped or slowed it down. Nothing seems to have changed much, to be that honest. I know the sides of my head are vastly improved, which is weird as they were the first part of my head to become affected.

Dobika
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Lasers, toco8, scalp exercises, diet, exercise, nioxin

Re: Just a question.

Post by Dobika » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:54 am

Here's my take. Only you can really judge the progression of hairloss. That being said, it is really hard to make an honest assessment of one's own situation because you see it every day up close and in all different lights and angles unlike anyone else. It's kind of like kids growing up. When they are your kids you don't notice how big they are getting but when you see someone else's kids once a year you really notice how much they have grown. When it comes to hair loss it's hard to be honest with yourself because you don't want it to get worse and it's so hard to admit it to yourself that, yes, it is worse. Denial.

As far as the 3 year time frame. That is enough time to go completely bald. Everyone is different but I have seen people loose it all in 3 years or less. A good example of that is the ESPN reporter Scott Vanpelt. He handled it a lot better than I ever could have but he lost his hair remarkably fast.