damaging comb over/ long bangs?

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

Anxious1
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II A
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

damaging comb over/ long bangs?

Post by Anxious1 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:58 pm

Last edited by Anxious1 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

bear101
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Treatment Regimen: 300 diode laser Messiah 2 (3 times a week for 20 min sessions, at least 2 days between sessions)

Re: damaging comb over/ long bangs?

Post by bear101 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:40 am

You could try combing the opposite way to test this hypothesis, but my temple that's thinner is the opposite to how you are describing it..I've heard that asymmetry is the thinning areas is not quite uncommon though.

Joey Ramone
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by Joey Ramone » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:17 pm

I used to think I started losing my hair at a young age because I was always really rough when styling and home-bleached and dyed it a number of times before. Looking at my brothers though, who never did much with their hair, their pattern of balding is looking exactly the same as mine - same timeframe and everything. I used to use soap to style my hair and this would always become covered in hair after one styling which was the only time I'd notice hairs but thought it was pretty normal at the time. I do think I lost hairs to it but don't think it caused mpb, the hairs I lost grew back and then later fell out in different areas thanks to mpb.

If you're really rough with it, maybe you are losing hairs from doing the combover thing but if so those ones would grow back as normal if you stopped doing it IMO.

I think a major factor is stress. I've had some time off recently and thought I'd make use of it to improve my situation but due to personal issues and the worry caused by how %&$! and old I'm looking compared to even 2 years ago, I've just been stressed a straight week and a half and it shows in my hair. Gonna have to try to calm down and chill in spite of it or I'm gonna make myself unwell.

Dave
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:42 pm

I don't think the combing has a big affect on the balding.
With me stress was the biggest problem.
As soon as I started using a nuber 1 or 2 blade on my head, I forgot about my hair and became more confident and less stressed.
I also try to stay fit and toned so that my overall look is healthy.
The hair is a bit longer now to check the affect of lasers on is, and it seems to style well now in the right light.

wildhair
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Alopecia Universalis
Norwood Level: Norwood III
Treatment Regimen: LLT, minomuck, & just about anything....

Post by wildhair » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:53 pm

I doubt it matters how you comb it. Some might say that less sunlight on the scalp could contribute. I don't know... Personally, I'm growing a beard - I plan to comb it down & then back over the top of my head. Maybe use super-glue up there too.

sherrybalesteros
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by sherrybalesteros » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:18 am

Why not try avoiding brushing the bangs to reduce the risk of losing it also? :D

Anxious1
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II A

Post by Anxious1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:14 am

its not so much the brushing, cos i avoid this, its the constant moving around of it, to make sure my receded temples r covered up, and the fact that it has to bend down in an unnatural angle to cover them up, although i dont brush these areas, i do actually think brushing is good to remove hairs that r on there way out, to allow new ones to regrow, and to distribute oil, but i guess if there is going to be no regrowth there then i want to hang on to the hairs i have as long as i can. Technically regrowth still occurrs even with mpb, it just progresively regrows smaller, hence the name miniturization.

i think alot of the people claiming regrowth, including myself in the past, r just mistaking miniturizing hairs that regrow, as regrowth, when actually its thinning and receding, but we see hairs fall out, then regrow, and think it must be the current treatment we r using. but its just miniturization.

but thanks for ur input

bluefin
Occasional Poster
Treatment Regimen: Nizoral,Alpecin..looking for a good non minox topical.

Post by bluefin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:04 pm

Talk about comb overs. This article puts our problems in perspective

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepag ... at-13.html