Biotin and blood sugar..and of course hair 'n nails

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Biotin and blood sugar..and of course hair 'n nails

Post by Jacob » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:28 am

Brace yourself… because you’re about to hear the opening shots of a two-month-long assault on your blood sugar. With Halloween just a couple of weeks away and another holiday season right around the corner, it’s that time of year once again— promising weeks of food, drink, and a hefty helping of stress. It’s the beginning of a bumpy ride for everyone’s health.

Unfortunately, sitting out of the next two months isn’t an option. But the good news is that research shows you can safely soldier through this year’s sugar binge—with an extra daily dose of one critical B vitamin. What’s more, this vitamin is tied to healthy hair and nails as well.

In a study of 43 obese or overweight subjects, researchers at Yale University set out to examine the effects of biotin supplementation on blood sugar control in treatment-resistant cases of type 2 diabetes. Over the course of four weeks, subjects were randomized to receive either a combination of 600 mcg of chromium picolinate and 2 mg of biotin per day, or a placebo treatment. Researchers measured both groups’ glycemic control and blood lipid levels at the beginning and end of the trial period.

After four weeks, glucose tolerance tests showed a 15 percent improvement in blood sugar control among subjects taking the biotin and chromium picolinate combo—a significantly better response than the placebo group.1 What’s more, triglyceride levels also decreased in the experimental group—while in stark contrast, subjects taking a placebo showed significant increases in serum levels of these dangerous lipids.

The best news? No major adverse events were reported among patients taking biotin—which means that this natural therapy is as safe as it is effective. And to top it off, additional research shows that it might come with at least one pleasant perk.

Ask anyone who’s supplemented with biotin for 60 days or longer, and you may be surprised to hear reports of increased hair and nail growth, too. Research reveals that more than half of all subjects with brittle nails will see as much as a 25 percent improvement in nail quality after treatment with biotin over a six month period—marked by significantly less splitting and greater regularity in nail bed surface cell arrangement.2-3

The bottom line: Whether you’re struggling with blood sugar control, slow hair growth or broken nails, boosting your intake of biotin could turn out to be your best solution yet. You can find this potent B vitamin as a daily supplement, readily available through Vitamin Research Products.

jksl
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Treatment Regimen: Emu Oil
Low Level Laser Therapy
Revita Shampoo

Re: Biotin and blood sugar..and of course hair 'n nails

Post by jksl » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:51 pm

Jacob wrote:600 mcg of chromium picolinate and 2 mg of biotin per day
I'd like to give chromium picolinate a try, but i keep reading about how it caused hairloss in some people.

The Natural
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)

Post by The Natural » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:42 pm

I have always avoided chromium picolinate, after reading the following:

•Chromium picolinate can affect the level of sugar in the blood. If you have diabetes, check with your healthcare provider before taking chromium picolinate. You may need to monitor your blood sugar more often, and your healthcare provider may need to adjust the dose of your diabetes medications.

•Chromium picolinate can affect certain brain chemicals. If you have a mental illness, check with your healthcare provider before taking chromium picolinate.

•Chromium picolinate may cause or worsen kidney or liver problems.

•Chromium picolinate supplements have been reported to cause allergic reactions in people who are allergic to chromate or leather.

•There is some evidence that chromium picolinate (but not other forms of chromium) can cause free-radical damage to cells. It is not yet known if this can cause serious problems.

Chromium Polynicotinate (Glucose Tolerance Factor) appears to be a safer form.
The Natural Internal Regimen:

curcumin
resveratrol
vitamin D (3)
vitamin E (tocotrienols)
vitamin C
magnesium citrate
MSM

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:37 pm

Yeah..I see the company is focusing on biotin.

And TN...I think I know where you got that from..and that place will scare you away from quite a few other things too I think :lol:

The Natural
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)

Post by The Natural » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:02 pm

Dr. Weil's explanation seems pretty objective:

Q Dangers of Chromium?
I've taken chromium picolinate in the past and have found it reduces my carbohydrate cravings. I stopped taking the supplement when I saw research indicating it causes damage to DNA. In your opinion, is chromium picolinate safe?

A Answer (Published 4/21/2008)

Our bodies need trace amounts of chromium for its key role in processing carbohydrates and fats. This mineral also helps regulate blood sugar by working with insulin to help transport glucose into cells. Natural food sources include whole grains, bran cereals, seafood, green beans, broccoli, prunes, nuts, peanut butter and potatoes.

Chromium picolinate is widely promoted to help users lose weight, build muscles, increase metabolic rate, lower cholesterol, and reduce cravings. To my knowledge only one small study has shown that it can affect cravings, and that was among patients with atypical depression. Supplementing with chromium picolinate has not been shown to actually help you lose weight, build muscle, lower your cholesterol, or increase your metabolic rate.

The possibility of DNA damage was suggested by studies of chromium picolinate in cell cultures. There is no evidence of such an effect in any living organism. To follow-up on the cell culture results, researchers at New York University studied the effects of 400 micrograms of chromium picolinate over an eight week period in 10 overweight women and found no sign of DNA damage.

The only adverse effects of chromium picolinate I've read about occurred in isolated cases. In one, a woman who took 1,200 to 2,400 mcg daily over four to five months developed kidney failure and impaired liver function. In another, kidney failure occurred five months after taking 600 mcg of chromium picolinate daily for six weeks. And, a healthy 24 year old man reportedly developed reversible, acute renal failure after two weeks on a supplement that contained chromium picolinate as the main ingredient.

In general, daily doses of up to 1,000 mcg of chromium are considered safe, but my bottom line is to skip the picolinate form in favor of GTF chromium or chromium chelate.

Andrew Weil, M.D.
The Natural Internal Regimen:

curcumin
resveratrol
vitamin D (3)
vitamin E (tocotrienols)
vitamin C
magnesium citrate
MSM

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:49 am

Bumping up an old thread..since chromium was mentioned.

http://www.interhealthusa.com/Ingredients/Zychrome.aspx
Zychrome™ brand chromium dinicocysteinate is a unique, patent-pending, next-generation chromium complex. Preliminary clinical data of a 90-day, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study conducted in the United States showed that Zychrome™ may be twice as effective as chromium picolinate in supporting normal insulin sensitivity, activity and levels trending toward normal range.*