Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy for Hairloss

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

hairisgood
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: 300+ diode laser helmet 3x per week for 20 minutes

Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy for Hairloss

Post by hairisgood » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:53 am

I remember some people did this therapy a while back. Any word on whether is was effective or not? In case you don't know what it is, your blood is drawn and put into a centrifuge separating out platelets and then this is injected into the scalp after dermarolling. It seemes expensive considering you would have to return to get more treatments. You could get a laser helmet for the same price as one treatment.

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Re: Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy for Hairloss

Post by OverMachoGrande » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:45 am

I hope it works, but there is trouble brewing with PRP. I wrote a fantastic post on this at another forum once, but I can't find it anymore and it's probably gone for good. Anyway, here are three big points to consider until we get more feedback from it from people that have undergone multiple treatments:

1) Hair transplant doctors are going to use this as a way to get into the billion dollar hair loss TREATMENT business, and several of them -including the most fraudulent person I currently know in the hair loss industry, Dr. XXXXXX- are pushing this HARD, and even doing things like posting before/after pictures that claim results after two weeks. These pictures, of course, show NOTHING. Absolultey NOTHING.

2) Dr. Cooley -my transplant surgeon, my future site's medical advisor, and a pioneer of PRP feels that it is NOT going to show good results as a treatment based on what he's witnessed, and agrees that unethical hair transplant surgeons are going to use this as an opportunity to get into the hair loss treatment business.

3) I don't know many people who have gotten it as a treatment, but I haven't heard or seen any results at all from the ones who have.

So, there you go! I'm going to write a full-fledged "warning" article about this at some point. It may end up showing results for some people, but it hasn't shown that so far, and knowing the chief doctor that pushes this... you need to stay the hell away from it for at least a little while longer!

I'd love for it to work -and so would Dr. Cooley- and I'd go get it if it did, but I think the real reason you are seeing it pushed is because unethical people can easily add several thousand dollars of pure profit to their practice A DAY if they got the "word" out to enough people.

By the way, I understand that it takes expensive machines to make PRP... but this should be a $100 treatment at most, not $1000+. Oh, ummm... it doesn't seem to work, either, so factor that into the price!
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...

sdguy

Post by sdguy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:42 pm

OMG, if Dr. Cooley thinks PRP is a lost cause for hairloss, what does he think it's useful for? (if anything)

hairisgood
Regular Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Treatment Regimen: 300+ diode laser helmet 3x per week for 20 minutes

Post by hairisgood » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:06 am

sdguy,

i read somewhere that he uses it for hair transplants. he uses it as a solution to put the follicles in as they are awaiting transplantation. it is supposed to give better transplant success rates and faster healing.

hairisgood

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by OverMachoGrande » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:02 am

That's it! You nailed it...

He said something "curious" to me, though, that I need to clarify next time I talk to him. He said "I've moved so far beyond that now" when we were talking about PRP, but I was confused whether he meant just as a treatment or ALLTOGETHER. We got disconnected, and I need to clarify that.

-O.M.G.
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...

James
Seasoned Poster

Post by James » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:58 am

I never had faith in PRP. In my opinion, in the world of hair loss, if something shows even the slightest bit of positive effects everyone jumps on it, and then you see articles about "A New Cure for Hair Loss" when it is just this little slightly effective treatment. Ughh. This %&$! has been happening for years!

Off topic, but I can't wait to see your updated pics John!