What do you do to combat Scalp Itch?

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

helpmyhair
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Norwood Level: Norwood I
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

What do you do to combat Scalp Itch?

Post by helpmyhair » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:28 pm

Ohhh man.. I cannot handle the scalp itch that accompanies hair loss. Sometimes I just feel like pulling my hair out.. that's how horrible it gets sometimes. Whenever the itch is in high gear, I shed like crazy.. so I feel there is a direct link between MPB and scalp inflammation.

I used niz in the past, and it made my scalp even itchy.. so I discontinued.

I used scalpure now, and it takes the itch right away.. but the itch comes back a bit later, I think maybe because of my shampoo.

So what do you guys do to get rid of the itch? special shampoo? topical? supplement? Lets hear it!

Thanks

hairisgood
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Treatment Regimen: 300+ diode laser helmet 3x per week for 20 minutes

Re: What do you do to combat Scalp Itch?

Post by hairisgood » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:08 pm

Since starting lasers my scalp itch has been nonexistent. Also supplements that reduce inflammation help.

helpmyhair
Seasoned Poster

Post by helpmyhair » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:23 pm

What supplements? I'm considering some of Immorital hair's regimen.

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:51 pm

Immortal's regime will deal with all sorts of systemic inflammation. He also has good advice on eating properly, which can help prevent inflammation as well.

Lasers have almost made my itch non existent though and before that I used GFSE a couple times a day (diluted in water).

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:08 pm

Just do a search for "inflammation" at Iherb 8)

Kerastase's Biotic may be a good choice ..if you're not wanting to use a daily topical like Lamas' or Elsom's.

hairisgood
Regular Poster

Post by hairisgood » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:39 am

Jacob wrote:Just do a search for "inflammation" at Iherb 8)

Kerastase's Biotic may be a good choice ..if you're not wanting to use a daily topical like Lamas' or Elsom's.
I would try immortal hairs top 6 if you can. that will work to reduce inflammation/scalp itch but i personally don't think it will regrow any hair. i think it can help maintain what you have and may have potential for regrowth but i personally did not see any. i basically maintained what i had and the itch mostly stopped and i felt healthier overall. i'm no expert but i think most expensive topicals are a waste of money. the nice thing about lasers that no one seems to talk about is that it is a one time cost.

amsch
Occasional Poster

Post by amsch » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:52 am

hey hair is good, could you post your whole regimen for us? are you on any type of dht-blockers or minoxidil?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:05 am

hairisgood wrote:
Jacob wrote:Just do a search for "inflammation" at Iherb 8)

I would try immortal hairs top 6 if you can. that will work to reduce inflammation/scalp itch but i personally don't think it will regrow any hair. i think it can help maintain what you have and may have potential for regrowth but i personally did not see any. i basically maintained what i had and the itch mostly stopped and i felt healthier overall. i'm no expert but i think most expensive topicals are a waste of money. the nice thing about lasers that no one seems to talk about is that it is a one time cost.
But that's my point..searching at Iherb and picking some things out would probably work just as well..since regrowing hair with them is a long shot.

Some topicals are a waste of money..some aren't..most you'll never know unless you try them. For a good 6+ months 8)

hairisgood
Regular Poster

Post by hairisgood » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:30 am

Amsch - Immortal Hair's top 6 and lasering.

Jacob - Why do you believe in topicals and shampoos so much? I feel like they could possibly help with the quality of your hair(not related to growth, but make it look shinier or whatever)but really is just a scam that you have fallen for just like women who use very expensive face creams, etc. You put your regimen on the hairloss story page as if a regimen is a story and as if anyone really cares. And saying to just use the search function at iherb is about the dumbest advice I've heard in a long time.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:41 pm

hairisgood wrote:Amsch - Immortal Hair's top 6 and lasering.

Jacob - Why do you believe in topicals and shampoos so much? I feel like they could possibly help with the quality of your hair(not related to growth, but make it look shinier or whatever)but really is just a scam that you have fallen for just like women who use very expensive face creams, etc. You put your regimen on the hairloss story page as if a regimen is a story and as if anyone really cares. And saying to just use the search function at iherb is about the dumbest advice I've heard in a long time.
Why do I believe in them so much? Because they've worked for me. They've worked for countless others. It makes a heck of a lot more sense than a bunch of chosen supplements. Did you ever notice that the vast majority going that route also use topicals and even "special" shampoo? :D

And no..I put my regimen on the hairloss story page because that's where my story starts. If you're going to say "as if anyone really cares"..you could easily say that about someone's hairloss history starting from day one. As I said in that thread..you don't seem to have a problem with someone using that section to post his before/after pictures and sell a product. Interesting...

I think the Iherb search function is quite good, actually. Research research research.

hairisgood
Regular Poster

Post by hairisgood » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:17 pm

Jacob- can you post pictures?

helpmyhair
Seasoned Poster

Post by helpmyhair » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:50 pm

Alright, I got Curcumin, Resveratrol, and Tocotrienols... what else do i need? Day 1 and itch is still there.

Prolific Poster
Treatment Regimen: 300 diode Laser Messiah II
IH's top 3 plus resv
4 Shampoo rotation
Mag Oil 3x a week
Scalpure
Adding Super Zix 2, PP topical, and Pauling Protocol

Post by 1..... » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:04 pm

its not guna go away in one day.....

0416Dr
Prolific Poster
Treatment Regimen: Niz

Post by 0416Dr » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:52 pm

im using a ketoconazol shampoo, since then I do not have any itch.
I went to buy a camouflage jacket the other day but I couldn't find any.

N0rwgnKid
Seasoned Poster

Post by N0rwgnKid » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:12 pm

Eat more meat and veggies , no refined carbs. <--- seriously helps !! And the supplements you have to give some time. Use LLLT too, it turned my scalp-condition into a non-mpb one together with the IH's.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:57 am

hairisgood..no..sorry.

hairisgood
Regular Poster

Post by hairisgood » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:03 am

jacob,

what are you embarassed about? i even posted pictures with my face in them and you won't even post a picture of just ur hair? what are you afraid of?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:07 am

That's good..feel free to post them again.

I..along with many others..do not care to do pics. I won't be scared until Halloween. :-s

hairisgood
Regular Poster

Post by hairisgood » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:20 am

i can not think of one person as active as you on the forums that has not ever posted pics of their hair. i posted pics today and also ones of myself and helmet under the helmet paramaters thread under LLLT. you try to give advice all the time. i think you should put up or shut up. like i said before, what are you embarassed about?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:25 am

Then you're not thinking hard enough. Activity has nothing to do with it anyway. Even those posting pictures have many times not proven a darn thing either.

I don't "give advice" all the time. That is someone else.

You have really gotten off subject here..seem to have a bug somewhere for whatever reason.

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by OverMachoGrande » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:08 pm

Obviously lasers have really helped a lot of people that had a big itch, but if that isn't your route, a lot of us tried this at the end of 2007:

http://www.naturalbioskincare.com/

Bioskincare has "snail slime" in it, and this was actually talked about quite a bit at the old forum. If you aren't familiar, you are probably like "SNAIL SLIME?! FFS!" lol... The quick rundown is that snails have some sort of super-regeneration mechanism in their slime that causes all of their injuries to heal at a remarkable rate (and I think even full regeneration of tissue), and it's been found to stop itch in humans.

It worked really well for everyone but "Itchy" if I recall (make your own joke). I really liked it, too. The PROBLEM is that it's pretty expensive. I think if you use one jar sparingly, it will last you over six weeks, but it was still $60! http://www.biocutis.com/store/index.php ... ducts_id=1

So, you may want to at least try it out. Like I said, I think everyone but one of us liked it. Wow... flashback. That was at the very end of my pre-laser days! My how things have changed!

-O.M.G.
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:25 pm

Inflamil would have been a product I'd actually recommend :shock: ..but unfortunately it's no longer available. Even the shampoo was great.

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by OverMachoGrande » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:07 pm

10% Feverfew, 10% Thuja Occidentalils, 10% Epibolium, 5% Green Tea Extract (see green tea catechins) and 1% Mentholum verum were the ingredients. We could probably make this, you know. We could probably make it better than they could now.

...by the way, I got that from Dr. Rassman at Baldingblog (http://www.baldingblog.com/2006/02/03/i ... hair-loss/). I just don't understand why anyone would ever follow that or ask him for advice. He says NOTHING... just tells people to go to a doctor and that's it, but yet part of the world still lauds him as some sort of expert or something. I suppose I'm beating a dead horse, though, because we all know that he's Captain Yesterday. Well, see ya in the funny papers Rassman because we left you in the dust years ago.

I bet he's a fantastic golfer, though.
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:36 am

I don't know why ppl ask him questions either. Maybe it's just him asking himself :-s

Lipoxidil's supposed reason for discontinuing it was that they were unable to get one of the ingreds anymore. I found that hard to believe..but can't think of any other reason why they'd quit making/providing a popular product that nearly everyone said actually worked. I don't recall anyone complaining about side effects..nothing about the FDA. In fact at one point they were talking about mass marketing it- seeing it on store shelves etc.

I don't even think it'd have to be liposomal. Even just a shampoo would be nice.

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:04 am

helpmyhair wrote:Ohhh man.. I cannot handle the scalp itch that accompanies hair loss. Sometimes I just feel like pulling my hair out.. that's how horrible it gets sometimes. Whenever the itch is in high gear, I shed like crazy.. so I feel there is a direct link between MPB and scalp inflammation.

I used niz in the past, and it made my scalp even itchy.. so I discontinued.

I used scalpure now, and it takes the itch right away.. but the itch comes back a bit later, I think maybe because of my shampoo.

So what do you guys do to get rid of the itch? special shampoo? topical? supplement? Lets hear it!

Thanks

Id recommend trying a Piroctone Olamine/ tea tree shampoo and perhaps alternate with the Biotic shampoo that Jacob uses.

Regards
Pete

helpmyhair
Seasoned Poster

Post by helpmyhair » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:50 pm

Alright guys, I've managed to control the itch using:

Curcumin
Resveratrol
Tocotrienols
Panthothenic Acid
Biotin

And my shampoo is by Avalon Organic made with Olive oil and flax seeds. Scalp is finally under control! :)