Need inflammation advice

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

TheFunkyStumpfighter
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Nizoral 2%
200 diode laser helmet mon/wed/fri
Clay mon/wed/fri
5 weeks AGHC (finished 2nd week July 09)

Need inflammation advice

Post by TheFunkyStumpfighter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:55 pm

So, after a visit to a doctor, he said that my scalp is so badly inflamed that itll make me go bald long before mpb does. I have substantial global thinning, and my seb derm is unbelievably awful. Ive been using nizoral and sulphur shampoos for the better part of 6 months at least, and I have seen very little change in my seb derm in this time. Doctor says that without some kind of anti inflammatory, im wasting my time.

So, heres my question: is there anything natural, or a combination of natural things, that I could use in place of the steroids he wants me to start using? I think Im going to trade nizoral for a combination treatment of aloe gel and coconut oil, to keep my scalp from getting too dry, and use aloe juice in my own pascalite clay topical instead of acv. I was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice on what I could use for the inflammation side of things. I know that theres a venerable ass ton of things that have anti inflammatory properties, but is there anything that stands out?

I dont want to start slathering triamcinolone on my noggin, but this %&$! is really keeping me from seeing any significant results from anything Im using. My scalp is never itchy, but it is always painfully inflamed, and I feel like Im wasting my money on treating anything else until I can get this seb derm out of the picture.
I currently use Propecia and i have a Laser comb, what do you guys suggest to use as a good daily shampoo? This HairGen is not going to grow hair cmon guys. Is Nioxin the best out there?

Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Treatment Regimen: 300 diode Laser Messiah II
IH's top 3 plus resv
4 Shampoo rotation
Mag Oil 3x a week
Scalpure
Adding Super Zix 2, PP topical, and Pauling Protocol

Re: Need inflammation advice

Post by 1..... » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:34 pm

you could try scalpure + lasers. it has really helped with my inflammation.

Joanne
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)

Post by Joanne » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:04 pm

You might also want to try DermaWhey from Life Extension (see my post from a few days ago). I've only been taking it since Friday, so too early to say anything definitively ... but my scalp does feel a bit more calm. The lasers have helped with the itch--to a point--but I still get these areas on my scalp that feel much hotter than the rest of my head. Weird thing is, it moves around. Sometimes it's the top of my head, sometimes it's the sides and behind my ears. It's always followed by a visible thinning in that area a few weeks after I get that 'hot' sensation.

There's another topical product I use pretty regularly (for about 18 months) that seems to help that 'inflamed' feeling called Totaloe. The main active ingredients are aloe, niacinamide, zinc sulfate and algae extract. It's sold as a soothing moisturizer and for me, it does that. Also, it's a really great hair grooming product. I use it right after showering. I apply it with an eyedropper in the really thin areas, massage it in and then blow dry my hair and it looks much fuller. Can't say if it's particularly helpful for regrowth, but cosmetically it's my #1 product and it does make my scalp feel better. Might be a good rehydrating topical after Scalpure which can dry out your hair and scalp after awhile.

Here's a link: http://www.dianayvonne.com/product/VIV4 ... _4_oz.html

And here are the ingredients.
Water, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, propylene glycol, niacinamide, algae extract, camellia sinensis (japanese green tea) leaf extract, zinc sulfate, sodium hyaluronate, xanthan gum, phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin.

Of course, the propylene glycol will be a deal-breaker for some people, but I don't have a problem with it. Hope this helps ...

Joanne
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)

Post by Joanne » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:11 pm

One more thought. As a teenager, I had really oily skin and used the harshest products to reduce it and try to clear up my breakouts. Sometimes even straight alcohol :oops:

Then I learned that the more you strip the grease off your skin, the more grease your skin produces to compensate for it. Truly a vicious cycle. I finally got it under control by using emu oil! It was the scariest thing to try, I was sure I'd wake up completely broken out, but in fact my face calmed down and eventually normalized. Jojoba oil worked well too (when I ran out of emu). So maybe the nizoral and sulphur shampoos might be too harsh for everyday use and maybe your scalp is overcompensating for your efforts to remove all the sebum. I'd try an emu oil (or jojoba) massage after a good Scalpure cleansing and see if that helps.

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:49 pm

For seb derm I would instantly go for the combination of Coconut Oil and GFSE. Grapefruit Seed Extract (GFSE) can be used full strength in the shower as a rinse or it can be diluted and used in a topical. Could probably add some GFSE to your aloe to make a great combo. In the earlier days before LLLT was working full go my itch was kept in check by the GFSE. Now I don't need it nearly as often and I go long stints without any. I mainly just use some aloe now.

As for Coconut Oil it is great for combating seb derm and also will help feed the local "friendly" bacteria on your scalp. I recommend at first you do not leave it on too long because it may itch really bad at first. This is actually a good sign and will decrease with use. Also this does not happen with everyone so just telling you to keep and eye out if you try it. Ultimately CCO may be the better, best choice as GFSE may destroy friendly bacteria as well. However I have had good results with GFSE.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:54 pm

Since Inflamil is no longer available..this is what I've turned to when needed: http://search.folica.com/search?p=Q&ts= ... ic&x=0&y=0 I may just use it more consistently/frequently....

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:02 pm

TheFunkyStumpfighter wrote:So, after a visit to a doctor, he said that my scalp is so badly inflamed that itll make me go bald long before mpb does. I have substantial global thinning, and my seb derm is unbelievably awful. Ive been using nizoral and sulphur shampoos for the better part of 6 months at least, and I have seen very little change in my seb derm in this time. Doctor says that without some kind of anti inflammatory, im wasting my time.

So, heres my question: is there anything natural, or a combination of natural things, that I could use in place of the steroids he wants me to start using? I think Im going to trade nizoral for a combination treatment of aloe gel and coconut oil, to keep my scalp from getting too dry, and use aloe juice in my own pascalite clay topical instead of acv. I was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice on what I could use for the inflammation side of things. I know that theres a venerable ass ton of things that have anti inflammatory properties, but is there anything that stands out?

I dont want to start slathering triamcinolone on my noggin, but this %&$! is really keeping me from seeing any significant results from anything Im using. My scalp is never itchy, but it is always painfully inflamed, and I feel like Im wasting my money on treating anything else until I can get this seb derm out of the picture.

Initially try a combination of PTO shampoo and Tea tree.

You may need to try a PTO lotion if the above doesnt work.

Regards
Pete

zixcreator
Seasoned Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood V
Treatment Regimen: Zix

Post by zixcreator » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:01 am

I think the first step is to examine what you are using now. You mentioned you are using some rather harsh shampoos. Give your scalp a break from them for a few weeks and see what happens. If you scalp improves then gradually reintroduce Nizoral but only maybe twice per week.

You are verbalizing a common problem with people trying to grow hair. THEY ACTUALLY MAKE MATTERS WORSE! In my experience hair stops falling out and starts regrowing only when your scalp "feels" good. So I would start with a clean sheet of paper so to speak. Just stop using everything for awhile and let your scalp return to normal. Find a gentle baby shampoo for the time being. Then start introducing treatments slowly, one at a time so you can evaluate how your scalp "feels".

todd gak
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by todd gak » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:11 am

I think addressing SD topically is a waste of time. Internally is your best bet. Believe it or not, even foods like chicken are often recommended to avoid.

Mostly you need to examine your diet. Vinegar, cheese, chicken, tomatoes, certain spices, sugar, yeast - which means most breads, condiments because of the vinegar all need to be avoided. Just because a food is considered healthy doesn't mean it's ok to eat when it comes to SD.

Internals to try would be GFSE, oregano oil and possibly diflucan if you get desperate.

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:58 am

todd gak wrote:I think addressing SD topically is a waste of time. Internally is your best bet. Believe it or not, even foods like chicken are often recommended to avoid.

Mostly you need to examine your diet. Vinegar, cheese, chicken, tomatoes, certain spices, sugar, yeast - which means most breads, condiments because of the vinegar all need to be avoided. Just because a food is considered healthy doesn't mean it's ok to eat when it comes to SD.

Internals to try would be GFSE, oregano oil and possibly diflucan if you get desperate.

Better of tacklng all 3 angles :

1) Stress - most important of ALL
2) Diet and lifestyle
3) Topicals

Regards
Pete