Finally quit finasteride (adivce wanted)

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

cuebreeze
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Norwood Level: Norwood III
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Finally quit finasteride (adivce wanted)

Post by cuebreeze » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:22 pm

Today is a pretty big day for me as i finally got the guts to quit fin. Ive thrown out my last few tablets am feeling a great deal of releif.

Its been years of bad sexual sides and i finally got the courage to make a GOOD decision for my body. Anyway im aware im up for a long recovery period so im making this thread to get advice on how i can get my sexual desire back and anything else the fin took away from me.

All in all, mentally i feel amazing to finally have stopped =) I may shave down to q ball soon.

Just to make things clear also, i have not given up. Im still on lasers, bentonite clay, a complex regimen of all natural supplements. (pauling protocol, serrapeptase, natozimes etc). Oh and zinc, thryoid tablet etc.

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Re: Finally quit finasteride (adivce wanted)

Post by Pete2 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:03 pm

Youll find there are other supplements/foods that may help your hairloss:

lecithin, garlic, taurine, omega3, pantothenic acid, psyllium,plant sterols etc.

Regards
Pete

Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Treatment Regimen: 300 diode Laser Messiah II
IH's top 3 plus resv
4 Shampoo rotation
Mag Oil 3x a week
Scalpure
Adding Super Zix 2, PP topical, and Pauling Protocol

Post by 1..... » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:03 am

hey cue,

what is included in the pauling protocol?

jksl
Prolific Poster
Treatment Regimen: Emu Oil
Low Level Laser Therapy
Revita Shampoo

Post by jksl » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:03 pm

Pete2 wrote:Youll find there are other supplements/foods that may help your hairloss:

lecithin, garlic, taurine, omega3, pantothenic acid, psyllium,plant sterols etc.

Regards
Pete
How can you recommend pantothenic acid to someone who is dealing with dry and flakey scalp? Not only will this make it worse, but it's a surefire way to deplete your stores of biotin (the b vitamin for hair strength and reduction in shedding). B5 is the last b-vitamin anyone should think of when fighting hairloss, especially since it depletes the most important b-vitamin for protecting hair - biotin. Also, supplementing with lecithin is one way of creating a need for more zinc intake. Taking psyllium is another way of creating a need for increased mineral supplementation.

Cue, only you can figure out what supplements you need and don't need. Don't just take certain supplements because others are taking them or because they tell you to take them.

Visit all of these sites:
http://www.acu-cell.com/acn.html (go through all the pages carefully)
http://www.testsymptomsathome.com/sym_antioxidant.asp
http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/article.cfm?id=328
http://www.ithyroid.com/supplement_list.htm

Then, assess your situation and supplement accordingly. Also, change your diet and lifestyle accordingly.

wildhair
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Alopecia Universalis
Treatment Regimen: LLT, minomuck, & just about anything....

Post by wildhair » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:10 pm

Congratulations on quitting fin, Cuebreeze. The responses I see make no mention of sexual sides. Have you seen a Dr? I've heard that fin can sometimes reduce desire without lowering testosterone. Some Dr's will recommend HRT even if your test falls in the normal range. If you are convinced to use HRT make sure you discuss adding HCG to the mix to prevent testicular atrophy. Good Luck with the hair, too!

Dobika
Regular Poster
Treatment Regimen: Lasers, toco8, scalp exercises, diet, exercise, nioxin

Post by Dobika » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:16 am

Hey cuebreeze, You'll be happy to know that my mojo came back pretty quickly. I replaced fin with saw palmetto and didn't have any problems.

Good luck, you did the right thing!

qwerty4102003
Occasional Poster

Post by qwerty4102003 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:57 pm

Congrats on quitting. I was on fin for a while and thought I had good results but after reading horror stories about it, I quit. The horror stories of permanent sexual sides scared me to death, although those stories really are the exception, not the rule.

jkenn
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II A
Treatment Regimen: 450 diode Laser Messiah, and propecia

Post by jkenn » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:02 am

Hey Cuebreeze- how is it going? I am on propecia and lasers, and am thinking of just dropping the propecia. Have yoi lost any ground since you quit fin?

bald2thebone
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Treatment Regimen: Nirzoral every day, 15min of sunlight/day

Post by bald2thebone » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:25 pm

After I quite fin my libido came back gradually over about a months time. Afterwards I tried natural dht blockers such as saw p. and the like and the sexual side-effects were just as bad. I also tried Avodart eventually and again got sexual sides. After trying Avodart I decided I would never take any substance that had an effect on my hormones as the trade off is not worth it to me. So my advice is to stay away from all such substances like Propecia, Avodart, saw p. etc and instead exercise and hit the gym and continue lazering etc. Cheers.

qwerty4102003
Occasional Poster

Post by qwerty4102003 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:33 pm

Bald2thebone - having started lasers a couple of months ago, I added Saw Palmetto to my reginime and no sexual side effects at all. I still do Rogaine even though I've read mixed reviews on it.

Anxious1
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II A

Post by Anxious1 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:54 pm

i think u did the right thing. people like u make me think i did the right thing by not using it in the first place, even though it hurt losing hair while my friends were talking about how great finasteride is.

one thing ive learnt in life is there is always consequences. theres always good with the bad.

ive been using beta sitosterol lately, some say its just as bad, but i dont think so. i think with blockers, the better they work, the more side effects there is. no way around it. the fact is finasteride is such a good blocker, u get plenty of bad effects of blocking it as well as the good effects. i think saw palmetto and beta sitosterol dont work very good, so dont give many people side effects. not to mention its in ur food anyway, a vegetarian eats plenty of the stuff. i dont know, even if natural blockers do nothing, i still like to take them, because it just makes me feel like im stopping myself from being tempted by easy regrowth with finasteride, and selling ur soul to the devil. :evil: