Piroctone Olamine shampoo for inflammation

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

Pete2
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Piroctone Olamine shampoo for inflammation

Post by Pete2 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:13 am

ARTICLE LINKS:
Fulltext | PDF (197 K)
Nudging hair shedding by antidandruff shampoos. A comparison of 1% ketoconazole, 1% piroctone olamine and 1% zinc pyrithione formulations.

Original Articles

International Journal of Cosmetic Science. 24(5):249-256, October 2002.
Pierard-Franchimont, C.; Goffin, V.; Henry, F.; Uhoda, I.; Braham, C.; Pierard, G. E.
Abstract:
Synopsis: Hair shedding and hair thinning have been reported to be affected by dandruff and seborrhoeic dermatitis. The present study was conducted in 150 men presenting with telogen effluvium related to androgenic alopecia associated with dandruff. They were randomly allocated to three groups receiving each one of the three shampoos in the market containing either 1% ketoconazole (KTZ), 1% piroctone olamine (PTO) or 1% zinc pyrithione (ZPT). Shampoos had to be used 2-3 times a week for 6 months. Hair shedding during shampoo was evaluated semiquantitatively. Hair density on the vertex was evaluated on photographs using a Dermaphot. Trichograms were used for determining the anagen hair percentage and the mean proximal hair shaft diameter using computerized image analysis. The sebum excretion rate (SER, [mu]g cm-2 h-1) was also measured using a Sebumeter(R).

The three treatments cleared pruritus and dandruff rapidly. At end point, hair density was unchanged, although hair shedding was decreased (KTZ: -17.3%, PTO: -16.5%, ZPT: -10.1%) and the anagen hair percentage was increased (KTZ: 4.9%, PTO: 7.9%, ZPT: 6.8%). The effect on the mean hair shaft diameter was contrasted between the three groups of volunteers (KTZ: 5.4%, PTO: 7.7%, ZPT: -2.2%). In conclusion, telogen effluvium was controlled by KTZ, PTO and ZPT shampoos at 1% concentration. In addition, KTZ and PTO increased the mean hair shaft thickness while discretely decreasing the sebum output at the skin surface.

People who are looking to lower inflammation may want to consider a Piroctone Olamine Shampoo.

Regards
Pete

James
Seasoned Poster

Re: Piroctone Olamine shampoo for inflammation

Post by James » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:03 am

Thanks Pete. Good stuff.

I tried a PO shampoo before but I didn't like the way it made my scalp feel, may have been the inactive ingredients. I will probably try out a new shampoo with this in the future.

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Re: Piroctone Olamine shampoo for inflammation

Post by Pete2 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:48 pm

It always best to alternate a few shampoos ( as it is with topicals )to maintain results.

Regards
Pete