DHT, Is it needed at all?

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

cuebreeze
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Norwood Level: Norwood III
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

DHT, Is it needed at all?

Post by cuebreeze » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:31 pm

I seem to have my hair pretty stable these days. Hairloss has slowed down alot etc but ive noticed my scalp is allways really dry and flakey. My hair is actually really dry too and grows really slow.

So i guess what im asking is dht needed at all for hair?

OR

How does dht work in someone without mpb. Surely the dht carries some sort of benefits the hair shaft???

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Re: DHT, Is it needed at all?

Post by Pete2 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:51 pm

You could try combining a Piroctone olamine shampoos and Essential oil blend ( such as the one in the Scottish alopecia study )

Regards
Pete

cuebreeze
Prolific Poster

Post by cuebreeze » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:13 pm

found this article that says dht is needed for hairgrowth but dht's affect on bone growth also can cause miniturisation of the hair.

Its just wierd as lately i am using lasers, bentonite clay etc and my hair was looking real good. (it use to be really oily) but now its really really dry.

Im thinkng cos im still on fin that i need the dht for the oils etc.

heres the link

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve ... 7708003873

James
Seasoned Poster

Post by James » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:43 pm

DHT is definitely needed.

It is one of the reasons why men are men. It is also in the brain but currently they do not know what it does there.

cuebreeze
Prolific Poster

Post by cuebreeze » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:56 pm

Ive noticed since i started on fin this...... Sure my hairloss slowed ALOT but my hair never really grew more than a few inches. So in one aspect i think it was good but as far as hair quality it sucked. Ive also noticed i barely get and facial hair like i use to. I also have alot of chest hair which grows very slow.

hapyman
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by hapyman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:35 pm

found this article that says dht is needed for hairgrowth but dht's affect on bone growth also can cause miniturisation of the hair.

Its just wierd as lately i am using lasers, bentonite clay etc and my hair was looking real good. (it use to be really oily) but now its really really dry.

Im thinkng cos im still on fin that i need the dht for the oils etc.
What kind of bentonite clay preparation are you using. If you are just using clay & ACV or Water it will dry out your hair and make it kind of brittle after a few applications. At least that is how it made my hair feel. Bentonite is really good at pulling oils out which is part of the reason it is good to use... it will help get rid of excess sebum. However it is almost too effective and can strip your hair and make it feel like how you describe. You can either add oils to the bentonite to minimize this a little (I am working out how much) or you can just moisturize or condition your hair after using it. I have put aloe and some other oils on my hair and scalp after the clay and it helps a lot.

jksl
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Treatment Regimen: Emu Oil
Low Level Laser Therapy
Revita Shampoo

Post by jksl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:32 pm

cuebreeze wrote:I seem to have my hair pretty stable these days. Hairloss has slowed down alot etc but ive noticed my scalp is allways really dry and flakey. My hair is actually really dry too and grows really slow.

OR

How does dht work in someone without mpb. Surely the dht carries some sort of benefits the hair shaft???
Dry hair and slow growth is a sign of zinc deficiency. Zinc also suppresses T => DHT conversion. You may also need to add vitamin B6 (preferably in P-5-P). Biotin is also recommended to giving shine to the hair.

If you're going to cut out fin, you might wanna try eating the original zix formula. Or have some ZMA, although you're already getting some extra magnesium.

If you have the time, check out this site and read through all the vitamin and mineral links http://www.acu-cell.com/acn.html

It'll take a while, but you'll learn how they all interact with one another and you'll pretty much learn how to properly supplement yourself. For instance, you'll find out that taking vitamin C and zinc at the same time may not be a good idea as they are antagonists to one another.

Assess your diet, supplementation, lifestyle, and take note of all the issues with your body and mental state. Then, go here http://www.testsymptomsathome.com/sym_antioxidant.asp

Then, figure out what minerals and vitamins you will need and come up with a strategy on how to supplement them, keeping acu-cell's nutrition pages in mind.

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:21 am

cuebreeze wrote:I seem to have my hair pretty stable these days. Hairloss has slowed down alot etc but ive noticed my scalp is allways really dry and flakey. My hair is actually really dry too and grows really slow.

OR

People with hairloss tend to have an excess of DHT.
If you reduce this level hairloss tends to slow - so the idea isnt to eliminate, but just to reduce DHT and the upregulating factors which increase it.

Regards
Pete

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:58 pm

This isn't about "is dht needed for hair"..but it's my fav dht article ..about dht being needed, period. http://www.mesomorphosis.com/articles/arnold/dht.htm

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:48 pm

Jacob wrote:This isn't about "is dht needed for hair"..but it's my fav dht article ..about dht being needed, period. http://www.mesomorphosis.com/articles/arnold/dht.htm
Of course there is a need for androgens.
However they seem to cause problems ie hairloss etc when they are at "higher" levels than non balding men.
What I have consistently said in the past is that the Testosterone to Estradiol ratio is important to maintain to keep a hormonal balance as men age. So the task is to maintain a balance.

Regards
Pete

p__
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II A

Post by p__ » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:37 am

cuebreeze wrote:How does dht work in someone without mpb. Surely the dht carries some sort of benefits the hair shaft???
For someone whose follicles are not susceptible to androgenoc alopecia, DHT will actually make hairs coarser.
Pete2 wrote:People with hairloss tend to have an excess of DHT.
Although there may be some slight truth to that, it is not really relevant to the basic mechanism of MPB. We do not lose hair because of excess DHT, but by sensitivity to androgens, in excess or not. It is a genetic predisposition.
Pete2 wrote:However they seem to cause problems ie hairloss etc when they are at "higher" levels than non balding men.
That could easily be misunderstood. Even though the condition is exacerbated by high levels of DHT, and conversely alleviated by low levels of DHT, someone with AGA could easily lose all his hair with completely normal or even low levels of DHT.

In short: AGA is not caused by excess DHT. If your follicles are sensitive to androgens, you may lose your hair even if you have low levels of DHT. Similarly, if you are not sensitive to androgens, you can have excess DHT and you still won't lose any hair. The sensitivity is genetic.

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:24 am

p__ wrote:
cuebreeze wrote:How does dht work in someone without mpb. Surely the dht carries some sort of benefits the hair shaft???
For someone whose follicles are not susceptible to androgenoc alopecia, DHT will actually make hairs coarser.
Pete2 wrote:People with hairloss tend to have an excess of DHT.
Although there may be some slight truth to that, it is not really relevant to the basic mechanism of MPB. We do not lose hair because of excess DHT, but by sensitivity to androgens, in excess or not. It is a genetic predisposition.
Pete2 wrote:However they seem to cause problems ie hairloss etc when they are at "higher" levels than non balding men.
That could easily be misunderstood. Even though the condition is exacerbated by high levels of DHT, and conversely alleviated by low levels of DHT, someone with AGA could easily lose all his hair with completely normal or even low levels of DHT.

In short: AGA is not caused by excess DHT. If your follicles are sensitive to androgens, you may lose your hair even if you have low levels of DHT. Similarly, if you are not sensitive to androgens, you can have excess DHT and you still won't lose any hair. The sensitivity is genetic.

Yep agree with that - lowering DHT does help hairloss!

Regards
Pete