Finasteride link to depression....

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Finasteride link to depression....

Post by HairLossFight.com » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:47 pm

Crap. :( Strong scientific evidence that Finasteride has effects on neuroactive steroid formation which can lead to depression (and by extension, other potential brain effects):

Finasteride treatment and neuroactive steroid formation.
Dusková M, Hill M, Hanus M, Matousková M, Stárka L.

Institute of Endocrinology, Prague, Czech Republic.

Finasteride is the 5alpha-reductase inhibitor that received clinical approval for the treatment of human benign prostate hyperplasia and androgenetic alopecia. The 5alpha-reductase is enzyme responsible for the reduction of testosterone to dihydrostestosterone, progesterone to dihydroprogesterone and deoxycorticosterone to dihydrodeoxycorticosterone, steroids modulating the action of gamma-aminobutyric acid on GABA receptors. These neuroactive steroids possess anticonvulsant, antidepressant and anxiolytic effects. The objective of the study was to determine the effect of finasteride therapy on a broad steroid spectrum in men with benign prostate hyperplasia. A group of 20 men with benign prostate hyperplasia was involved in the present study. Finasteride in the daily dose of 5 mg/day was administrated for 4 months. In all individuals, their hormonal profile of steroid hormones was determined before and after 4 months lasting finasteride treatment. Finasteride treatment resulted in a significant decrease all alpha-reduced and increase of most 5beta-reduced metabolites of testosterone and progesterone as well as in an increase of 7alpha-hydoxyderivatives, which are known as neuroactive steroids acting by modulation of GABAA and NMAD receptors in the brain. In the course of finasteride treatment the decrease of the concentration of circulating steroids with known inhibitory activity on GABA-ergic excitation in the brain is very probably an important factors contributing to the development of the symptoms of depression seen in some isolated cases of finasteride administration.

PMID: 19655698 [PubMed - in process]

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Re: Finasteride link to depression....

Post by OverMachoGrande » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:40 pm

I'm not being crude here... all I can say is that I thought it was the rampant impotence that was getting me depressed. Now I know that it might instead have been because of a decrease of the concentration of circulating steroids with known inhibitory activity on GABA-ergic excitation in the brain receptors.

lol... I'd still probably be taking it if I didn't have sexual side effects, though, because it's so easy.

This reminds me... does anyone know the "deal" behind propeciahelp.com? I know what the site is, but who's site is it? Does anyone know this info?
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...

hapyman
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Post by hapyman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:57 pm

I had horrible sides on even Saw Palmetto. My sleep was horrible and I was in the worst depressive moods I could remember. It was like being in a funk and no matter what I tried I could not shake out of it.

cuebreeze
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Norwood Level: Norwood III

Post by cuebreeze » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:41 pm

Hapyman and overmachogrande....

How long did it take after quitting fin before these sides went away. I mean side affects like depression, just feeling different etc.

Ive been low dosing and am almost ready to completely drop it

hapyman
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by hapyman » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:37 am

The severity and frequency dropped within the first week but there was some lingering bouts that seemed to last a couple months longer.

Are you experiencing any of this cue?