Stress Response and hairloss

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

Pete2
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Stress Response and hairloss

Post by Pete2 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:19 am

Id be interested to know if you think your hairloss has actually made you more stressed and increased anxiety?

I think its an area which hasnt really been covered alot and an area which needs to be improved alongside the topicals / internals people are taking,

Regards
Pete

jksl
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Treatment Regimen: Emu Oil
Low Level Laser Therapy
Revita Shampoo

Re: Stress Response and hairloss

Post by jksl » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:39 am

Yeah, definitely.

I do some meditation every now and then to do deal with stress. I think about hairloss all the time. It is always on my mind.

zixcreator
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood V
Treatment Regimen: Zix

Post by zixcreator » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:45 am

For about a decade now I've noticed that the people most obscessed and worried about losing their hair are the poorest responders to treatment. It could be stress or it could be that they tend to jump from treatment to treatment without giving something enough time to work.

Hairy77 was the best example of this. He was so stressed out we couldn't even get him to shampoo his hair.

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:46 am

zixcreator wrote:For about a decade now I've noticed that the people most obscessed and worried about losing their hair are the poorest responders to treatment. It could be stress or it could be that they tend to jump from treatment to treatment without giving something enough time to work.

Hairy77 was the best example of this. He was so stressed out we couldn't even get him to shampoo his hair.

There is a correlation with hairloss and Heart disease - those with heart problems tend to have type A personalities and constantly stressed.

You could probably take all the supplements - if your constantly stressed they arent going to help with all those stress hormones wreaking havoc on your system.

Having a "system" to cope with your daily stresses is ideal for health and more than likely for hairgrowth.

Regards
Pete

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:48 am

jksl wrote:Yeah, definitely.

I do some meditation every now and then to do deal with stress. I think about hairloss all the time. It is always on my mind.

Having a plan to reduce stress for all angles is probably the best way to deal with it.

Regards
Pete

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:07 am

Stress is definitely a major factor. If you are interested just look into stress mediated inflammation aka "Neurogenic Inflammation" through Substance P. I could post some more info if anyone likes.

Also chronic infections and stress causes your body to lose minerals and vitamins. For example people with chronic stress tend to secrete magnesium in high amounts causing them to become deficient. Also chronic infections tend to use up any stores of iodine as well. The list goes on and on.

IH's regiment is aimed at reducing the effects of Neurogenic inflammation but like Pete said you should still try to address the root of the problem. Many people on these boards seem to be stressed and it just seems like a cycle with hairloss. The stress causes hair loss and the more hair loss causes more stress. Gotta break the cycle. It is hard but possible.

However I still do believe that you would need to supplement to help your body to return to normal levels. For example supplementing orally with magnesium will take up to 12 months or more to return to normal levels. It would take much much longer to try and achieve this just by eating healthy. This is why I think people are so disheartened when they change their diets and nothing happens. Unfortunately it is a long term commitment that takes a lot of dedication and patience.

One other thing to consider. There is good evidence to suggest that certain types of depression and anxiety are caused by heavy metal toxicity (and usually candida which goes hand-in-hand). At least in my case detoxing for heavy metals has drastically reduced the severity and frequency of my bouts with anxiety/depression. Exercise helps as well.

James
Seasoned Poster

Post by James » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:18 pm

This is a very important thread.

Personally speaking, hair loss has caused a traumatic amount of stress for me. And the stress from hair loss hasn't really lessened in the 9 years that I have been dealing with it. I do know that if I didn't have hair loss then I would be fixated on some other thing that would be driving me crazy, giving me anxiety and depression. So, the problem does not like in the hair loss, it lies in how I am looking at things and responded to my thoughts. I think that this may apply to others as well.

What I spend a great deal of time working on is NOT RESPONDING TO AND BECOMING MY THOUGHTS. For example the thought, "wow, this hair loss makes me look much uglier, girls are not going to find me attractive anymore, people are staring at my hair" is a thought that I frequently have. When my mind thinks this thought, I recognize that it is my MIND that is having this thought and it is not who I really am. So when these these negative thoughts arise, I recognize that MY MIND IS DOING THAT THING AGAIN, and let the thought go, instead of following the thought and letting it become who I am. The people who ARE judging you because of your hair are people who are not happy with themselves on some level, they have not found peace.

This "philosophy" can really help you with other aspects of your life, it can help you realize how much your MIND controls you and you can begin to discover ways to find peace by not letting your mind control you. In this way, hair loss can be seen as a gift, as the suffering you experience can lead you to a more enlightened, peaceful way of being that spreads to your whole life. You will also become more compassionate.

Doing this has really helped me deal with hair loss and other aspects of my life as well. It takes a lot of work no doubt.

I have noticed that my inflammation is lessened when I not so much fixated on my hair. It DEFINITELY plays a part in how fast your hair loss will progress (IMO).

Breathing is really important. When the pangs of anxiety creep in, if you focus on your breathe, and understand that you do not have to feel %&$! if you don't want to, you can really lessen your anxiety, and do your hair a favor.

There is a lot of information on how to treat hair loss on these forums, less information is available on how to DEAL with it.

James
Seasoned Poster

Post by James » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:21 pm

I just want to add that I agree with what hapyman was saying. Health factors and psychological issues go hand in hand. Someone with heavy metal toxicity or some other condition will have a harder time dealing with stress because their body cannot sufficient deal with it.

Getting physically healthy is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.

I do believe that getting healthy can become an unhealthy obsession though, if it is causing stress in itself.

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:12 am

hapyman wrote:Stress is definitely a major factor. If you are interested just look into stress mediated inflammation aka "Neurogenic Inflammation" through Substance P. I could post some more info if anyone likes.

Also chronic infections and stress causes your body to lose minerals and vitamins. For example people with chronic stress tend to secrete magnesium in high amounts causing them to become deficient. Also chronic infections tend to use up any stores of iodine as well. The list goes on and on.

IH's regiment is aimed at reducing the effects of Neurogenic inflammation but like Pete said you should still try to address the root of the problem. Many people on these boards seem to be stressed and it just seems like a cycle with hairloss. The stress causes hair loss and the more hair loss causes more stress. Gotta break the cycle. It is hard but possible.

However I still do believe that you would need to supplement to help your body to return to normal levels. For example supplementing orally with magnesium will take up to 12 months or more to return to normal levels. It would take much much longer to try and achieve this just by eating healthy. This is why I think people are so disheartened when they change their diets and nothing happens. Unfortunately it is a long term commitment that takes a lot of dedication and patience.

One other thing to consider. There is good evidence to suggest that certain types of depression and anxiety are caused by heavy metal toxicity (and usually candida which goes hand-in-hand). At least in my case detoxing for heavy metals has drastically reduced the severity and frequency of my bouts with anxiety/depression. Exercise helps as well.

Supplements may help a "little" with normal stress levels - although it will NOT get toto the root cause.

If you are SYMPATHETIC dominant NO supplements will help - you have retrain your self to become less stressed.

Regards
Pete

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:04 am

I agree that no supplement will make you less stress in and of itself. However, there are supplements that will help you block the effects of the stress like increased cortisol levels or substance P. Ultimately I agree with you though, that you have to get a hold of your emotions and mentality. Perhaps adopt some techniques or behaviors that will help aid you in calming.

Dobika
Regular Poster
Treatment Regimen: Lasers, toco8, scalp exercises, diet, exercise, nioxin

Post by Dobika » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:46 pm

Hapyman is right on when he said "stress causes hair loss and the more hair loss causes more stress" a terrble cycle.

I truly believe that when I first thought my hairloss was advancing beyond my control I stressed out really bad and that made it worse.
I have been successful in controlling the hairloss related stress but still have a lot of life stress which, I believe, is also bad for hairloss.

I think about hairloss constantly and in a strange way it has become one of my hobbies. I wish It wasn't but it is because it's so important to me and it is so interesting. We always think we are on the verge of a cure or treatment that will work for us. I feel content knowing I am doing everything I can to fight it, I just can't give up.

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:47 am

[quote="Dobika"]Hapyman is right on when he said "stress causes hair loss and the more hair loss causes more stress" a terrble cycle.

I truly believe that when I first thought my hairloss was advancing beyond my control I stressed out really bad and that made it worse.
I have been successful in controlling the hairloss related stress but still have a lot of life stress which, I believe, is also bad for hairloss.

quote]

Their techniques to help with stress.

Regards
Pete

Dobika
Regular Poster
Treatment Regimen: Lasers, toco8, scalp exercises, diet, exercise, nioxin

Post by Dobika » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:27 pm

Pete, I'd definetely be interested in more info the stress reducing techniques. Thanks

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:08 pm

The best way is to find an outlet for your emotions, which will basically help you to release them.

I find exercise is very effective. Also look into yoga or some other types of meditation. If you make any of these a part of your weekly schedule I think you have a lot to gain.

Lady Jo
Regular Poster

Post by Lady Jo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:41 pm

Pete2 wrote:Id be interested to know if you think your hairloss has actually made you more stressed and increased anxiety?

I think its an area which hasnt really been covered alot and an area which needs to be improved alongside the topicals / internals people are taking,

Regards
Pete

Absolutely but what I do is try not to think about it and just make meself busy. I think work made me hairloss. LOL
Will you still love me when my hair has turned to gray?

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:30 pm

Lady Jo wrote:
Pete2 wrote:Id be interested to know if you think your hairloss has actually made you more stressed and increased anxiety?

Regards
Pete

Absolutely but what I do is try not to think about it and just make meself busy. I think work made me hairloss. LOL

A combination of meditation & breathing / visulisation / relaxation and ways to self talk to break down negative thoughts is good way to reduce anxiety/stress.

Regards
Pete

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:01 am

Lady Jo wrote:

Regards
Pete

I have been away from the hairloss scene for many many years since the days of my postings about Epilobium.

What im interested in now is topicals and general health and more importantly - Stress Response and how it can impact health.

Regards
Pete
Last edited by Pete2 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:20 pm

Theres alot of work on NLP and hypnosis to help to get to root cause your stress response.

However there appears to be a missing link.

After visiting these boards for some time - it becomes apparent that the condition itself causes extra stress and can actually speed hairloss especially whilst leading a western lifestyle.

Regards
Pete

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:52 am

I know for a fact that stress causes hair loss for me. At least temporary loss, but usually when this happens not all of it grows back so... IMHO definitely it is worth it to take actions to minimise your stress response overall. Easier said that done sadly.

Hair loss victim
Treatment Regimen: I use Endurahair for men, take twice daily and I've been doing it for years and I have had good results.

Post by Hair loss victim » Mon May 31, 2010 12:34 pm

Your hair looks great Sam!

As far as the coorelation between hair loss and stress, for me personally, on some days it can be a strong conection. As I have somewhat of a combover, when I finish combing my hair and go outside just to have a stong gust of wind blow it all out of place usually makes me grumpy until I can fix it when I get back in doors. But I do think for those who over think and are too self conscious of their hair loss it is more damaging. Also any treatment that causes side effects can cause more stress as the anticipation of embarasing or unpleasant experiences can bring more stress. For me taking natural treatments I think gave me a lot less stress.

Sam

Lady Jo
Regular Poster

Post by Lady Jo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:42 am

i am getting into the conclusion that stress which causes more hairloss is purely in the mind and so i really have to go into yoga. any other better alternatives?
Will you still love me when my hair has turned to gray?

Hair_Loss_Beaten
Hair Loss Type: Other

Post by Hair_Loss_Beaten » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:08 am

I like a lot of posts in this thread. Just like other people in this thread, I also believe that stress and hair loss is a vicious cycle. And yes, stress can also be caused by many other factors in our everyday life thus we must learn to control our response to these stressors such that it won't affect us negatively.
I also approve of yoga. Because in yoga, you will be taught breathing techniques which will relax you and increase oxygen in your blood flow. Even in medicine, breathing techniques are also being used such as in birthing techniques like Lamaze. So, there is truth in the use of breathing techniques to reduce stress and anxiety levels.
Further in yoga, you will be taught on meditation. This technique has been used in Asian civilization for centuries now. This is a way to release the negative energy, trying to find inner peace within ones' self thereby achieving a relaxed state of being.
When these are done regularly, I'll bet you will manage your stress and anxiety better.
Hello.
I am a proponent of natural treatment for hair loss. I hope to share with you my expertise on this field.

Hair_Loss_Beaten
Hair Loss Type: Other

Post by Hair_Loss_Beaten » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:21 am

I thought to share this with you guys.
Found the link from another post at another thread in this forum.
It is about stress related alopoecia.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepag ... at-13.html
Hello.
I am a proponent of natural treatment for hair loss. I hope to share with you my expertise on this field.

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:32 am

These seem to work well:

1) MIND - NLP
2) EMOTIONS - EFT
3) BELIEFS - AFFIRMATIONS

Thanks
Pete
Last edited by Pete2 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:02 am, edited 13 times in total.