propecia ..does it work?

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

Pacman77
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

propecia ..does it work?

Post by Pacman77 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:10 pm

I have been asked to try propecia as a way of increasing hair growth I am keen to try it but does it work as suggested has anyone tried it and had positive results??.

Pete2
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Re: propecia ..does it work?

Post by Pete2 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:57 pm

Pacman77 wrote:I have been asked to try propecia as a way of increasing hair growth I am keen to try it but does it work as suggested has anyone tried it and had positive results??.

Although Ive never tried this - it may be best to go through some posts on the topic. Its worth noting that propecia concentrates on the 5 ar enzyme. Indeed initially it may help to slow you hairloss however for some the results seem to fade which could partly because their levels of Estradiol increase due to the increase in Testosterone. You could try it and perhaps add something that will help with Estradiol to get more of a hormonal balance.

Regards
Pete

Avery
Occasional Poster

Post by Avery » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:49 am

Yes, LOTS of people have positive results with Propecia (or other brand of finasteride).

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by OverMachoGrande » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:50 am

This is what I've always said about propecia... if you CAN tolerate it, you might as well take it! You may be one of the lucky ones that have great success with it, and if you are... how COOL would it be to just be able to take a pill and just have it work?!

With me, it's not an option -or at least it didn't used to be (more on that later). I have horrible side effects on it, and there even is an entire forum dedicated to side effects from it that won't go away after you quit it. However, the incidences of this are really decreased if you take only .25mg a day vs. the standard 1mg a day, and it has been shown to be pretty much the same in terms of effectiveness.

I spoke to Chore Boy on the phone today, and he's going to start trying that. Now, this got me thinking... like I said, I haven't been able to use it -and I even stuck with it for one solid year at one point, and I think it probably took years to get back to normal. I used to experience a lot of sexual sides, though, from things like cold/allergy medicine, etc, so I could be wired to be prone to this. However, my extended use of A LOT of LLLT had made it so I don't get that way anymore. AT ALL! I'm not the only one that's noticed that either, by the way, so I'm not crazy here, and it could be due to the increase of N.O. in the bloodstream. Whatever the reason, I'm starting to consider trying it with 1/4th the dosage just to see.

Something tells me that it probably still won't work because I had PROFOUND side effects before, but seriously... I'm not afraid to try .25mg if that is enough to keep the side effects minimal, and the LLLT has made it so I have that much more security.

If anyone wants to send me 30 propecia pills for a four month trial, let me know. I'd CONSIDER it! ...And yes, there is a chance those pills would just sit there. lol...
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...

James
Seasoned Poster

Post by James » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:29 pm

OMG, haven't you stopped your hair loss with your current regimen? It just seems crazy to me to incorporate fin into a regimen that is working, especially when it gave you sides before.

Furthermore, what if one of the reasons that you have had great results is because your body is in a healthier state because you are OFF of fin?

I recently stopped taking dutasteride and started taking finasteride. I really believe that taking these chemicals plays a part in my anxiety/depression/brain fog. I hate that I am on it and hope that someday I can get off of it. Having said that, they HAVE slowed down my hair loss but in NO WAY have they STOPPED it.

Pacman77, I would recommend that you do a lot of research, including into natural alternatives like at http://www.immortalhair.org and LLLT ( http://www.overmachogrande.com ). This hair loss thing is complicated and nothing works for everyone.

You may find that finasteride is actually a great drug for you. Experimenting is very important IMO.

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster

Post by OverMachoGrande » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:54 pm

Dude, lol... You're so right, and I was thinking about it after I posted that!

See... The problem I have is something I wish on everyone. As soon as you REALLY start getting results from something, you are never satisfied. Your expectations change. The more results I get, the more I keep deciding "I WANT MORE!"

A year and eight months ago, if I would have know the results I would have gotten with ONLY LLLT, I would have told you then that I would have been satisfied beyond my wildest dreams. ...but when you get results, that's not what really happens in reality! Lol... Once you taste it, it's a never ending crave to get better result because, above all else, you know that REAL RESULTS are actually possible, and not just something somebody tells you in a forum.

Lile I said... That, my friend, is a problem I wish on everyone! ...and that's why I have momentary boughts of complete insanity.

-O.M.G.
Last edited by OverMachoGrande on Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...

N0rwgnKid
Seasoned Poster

Post by N0rwgnKid » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:28 pm

I agree with James here OMG. You shouldnt put yourself at risk of having the finasteride side effects when you are having such great results, IMO, man, who knows what this would do to us in the long term, I become freaked out thinking of it, seriously. Myself, I dont wanna risk my future kids (if Ill have anyone after fin-usage, haha) to suffer anything, whatever this might be, just because of my selfish crave for a bit better hair.

Maybe this is the time for experimenting with some untried stuff. The way I see it, you dont have much to loose do you? You have had great results with the LLT. Elsom-topicals, borage oil, get on super six again? ;) This is the time for experimenting with some good topicals John, or some natural internals, considering the great results youve had ;)

chore boy
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by chore boy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:16 pm

Something that might help us out would be to figure out all this interconversion enzyme and steroid sulfatase jazz.

http://www.androgeneticalopecia.com/hai ... ymes.shtml