Coconut Oil Info

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

jdp710
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Coconut Oil Info

Post by jdp710 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:37 pm

"Coconut oil aids in removing the outer layer of dead skin cells, making the skin's upper dermis healthier, smoother and more capable of generating new, healthy skin cells."

http://www.ehow.com/how_2194574_radiant ... t-oil.html

"Virgin coconut oil is useful in fighting free-radicals as it is unrefined and hasn't been stripped of any of its important nutrients." MPB scalp has higher numbers of free radicals than non MPB scalp.

"Coconut oil as compared to other oil as hair treatment: According to studies of the 3 oils (mineral oil and safflower oil) used for hair treatment, coconut oil was the only oil found to reduce the protein loss for both undamaged and damaged hair when used as pre-wash and post-wash grooming product. Both mineral oil and safflower oil do not help at all in reducing the protein loss from hair. Coconut oil, being a triglyceride of lauric acid (principal fatty acid), has a high affinity for hair proteins and, because of its low molecular weight and straight linear chain, is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft."

http://hubpages.com/hub/Virgin-Coconut- ... oisturizer

"Using the coconut oil as a pre-wash conditioner can rid a person of dandruff better than a medicated shampoo."

"Antiseptic fatty acids in coconut oil help to prevent fungal and bacterial infections in the skin when it is consumed and to some extent, when it is applied directly to the skin."

"When coconut oil is put on the skin it doesn't have any immediate antimicrobial action. However, when bacteria which are always present on the skin turn these triglycerides into free fatty acids, just as it does with sebum, the result is an increase in the number of antimicrobial fatty acids on the skin and protection from infection. The free fatty acids also help to contribute to the acid environment on the skin which repels disease causing germs."

"It will help to reduce chronic skin inflammation within days and be soothing and healing to wounds, blood blisters, rashes, etc. People have used a coconut oil/crushed garlic mixture at night to eliminate plantar warts and athlete's foot with excellent results."

"The oil is absorbed into the skin and into the cell structure of the connective tissues, limiting the damage excessive sun exposure can cause."

"Coconut oil will not only bring temporary relief to the skin, but it will aid in healing and repairing."

"Using the coconut oil as a pre-wash conditioner can rid a person of dandruff better than a medicated shampoo."

http://www.coconut-connections.com/skin_care.htm

"Coconut oil is nature's most abundant source of MCFAs or medium-chain triglycerides (MCT). MCTs are loaded with antimicrobial nutrients. Think of MCTs as bodyguards of your skin"

"Healthful skin has an acidic layer with a pH of about 5. This creates a chemical environment that is cruel to harmful microorganisms. Perspiration together with sebum (bodily oil secreted by sebaceous glands), promote this acidic environment. Together, they make sure that your skin is adequately protected."

"Our skin is home sweet home to countless microorganisms, mostly harmless and some even helpful. Lipophilic bacteria is one of the good guys. They break down MCTs by feeding on the sebum and coconut oil."

"Its relatively small molecules will enter your pores in no time to begin working its magic, first externally, then internally."

"Coconut oil for the skin is far more than skin deep. Once the skin is completely penetrated, it will ultimately go to your bloodstream and begin another phase of even more health-boosting activities."

http://www.coconut-oil-central.com/coco ... -skin.html

"It also combats wrinkles and skin discoloration and promotes healing."

"Pure, Virgin Coconut Oil is high in antioxidants that penetrate into the underlying tissues of your skin to prevent and protect against the formation of free radicals"

goten574
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Re: Coconut Oil Info

Post by goten574 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:52 pm

A friend in the Phillipines I know told me about Coconut Oil. Her elder sister (in her 30's), her grandmother and her friends grandfather all had hairloss and a combination of Aloe Vera and Virgin Coconut Oil restored their hair loss by up to 80%. Problem is, none of those hair loss suffers had any form of Alopecia, I believe the hair loss was caused by aging or poor diet.

I've been using Aloe Vera and Coconut Oil since end of February and can see no regrowth in the 5 months I've been using it. I can say that Coconut oil is amazing stuff though, when I first used it on it's own, my shedding stopped almost completely. I don't believe Coconut Oil can save us people with Alopecia, but I recommend it for other causes of hair loss. If you're not suffering from any form of hair loss, it really brings life to healthy hair, makes it thicker and stronger (again, not for Alopecia suffers though)

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:19 am

If it almost halted your hair loss how is it not helping? While I do not think that CCO on its own will restore our MPB I do think it has its uses in preventing further loss. The thing is that regrowth is harder the more time that passes and we may need a specific protocol to reverse all of the damage that has been done to our scalps. So maybe CCO is just good at preventing further loss but can't fully reverse hairloss. BTW I think a combination of LBI, enzymes and the pauling protocol may be what we need to reverse a lot of MPB issues.

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:42 pm

hapyman wrote:If it almost halted your hair loss how is it not helping? While I do not think that CCO on its own will restore our MPB I do think it has its uses in preventing further loss. The thing is that regrowth is harder the more time that passes and we may need a specific protocol to reverse all of the damage that has been done to our scalps. So maybe CCO is just good at preventing further loss but can't fully reverse hairloss. BTW I think a combination of LBI, enzymes and the pauling protocol may be what we need to reverse a lot of MPB issues.
I used Coconut Oil on it's own for a week before adding other ingredients, it completely fixed my greasy scalp and reduced my shedding a lot. 5 Months down the road, I still shed, it's normal to shed but I don't know how bad my shedding is as I've never experienced a bad shed before (to my knowledge). I get 5 - 10 hairs on my pillow when I wake up, and I get about 30 hairs in the bath, and the odd hair on my t-shirt during the day but I can run my fingers through my hair and very often, have no hair on my fingers.

gbp2000
Norwood Level: Norwood IV

Post by gbp2000 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:50 am

I use Coconut oil and think it is fantastic, but no regrowth, just less "scalp" pain since using it.

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:37 pm

gbp2000 wrote:I use Coconut oil and think it is fantastic, but no regrowth, just less "scalp" pain since using it.

Coconut oil is great to clean out your gut and boosts your thyroid.

Regards
Pete