Who will find the cure to baldness?

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

Us (Any online hairloss community on the Internet)
36%
Scientists
64%

Total votes: 11

goten574
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Post by goten574 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:27 pm

Just wondering who do you think will find the cure to baldness? Online forum members or scientists/doctors?
Last edited by goten574 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zixcreator
Seasoned Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood V
Treatment Regimen: Zix

Re: Who will find the cure to baldness?

Post by zixcreator » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:46 pm

Just my humble opinion but I don't think baldness can be cured. But it can be prevented with existing therapies.

1. A high quality laser helmet.

2. Nizoral shampoo or a shampoo that contains ketoconazole.

3. A topical DHT blocker combined with a receptor site blocker.

I'd be willing to bet that this would stop hair loss for 75-80% of all MPB sufferers.

OR:

2. Propecia

3. Nizoral shampoo.

Just my opinion though.

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by Jacob » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:48 pm

Scientists...stem cell related..Histogen...etc.

IMO

redbird
Regular Poster

Post by redbird » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:40 pm

I think there is no question that it can be cured. But whether it can be cured in 10 years or 1000 years is the question. It also depends on what you mean by cured.

If you mean that I can get as much hair as I want via any means, including various types of hair multiplication, then I think Aderans will be the first for a cure. But it could be awhile no matter where it comes from.

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:58 pm

Never heard of Aderans until now. I bet this is many years from now? Like 10?

What I mean by cure is to have hair and hair growth like a non hair loss suffering person.

Anxious1
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II A

Post by Anxious1 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:32 pm

the only real poosibility for a cure IMO, would be to find the gene, or genes, (section of dna of a chromosome) that will somehow play a part in the dht process, whether it be the gene for dht or some chemical further down the pathway that affects it or other causes such as the light issue, or scalp muscules, find out wat genes can safely be removed without creating havoc with other things, and remove it , either in our generation by some means like using viruses or bacteria, modifying them to attack certain basepair sequences, and injecting them; or perhaps in utero, (so we would still go bald, but our babies wouldnt), or the only other thing would be some sort of mass vaccination against it. all this is probably in the realm of science, but they also have to politics and financial problems to deal with, such as drug companies that want their piece of the pie.

until that happens, or something similar, im sure eventually their will be a very effective set of treatments, that when combined completely reverse it, we just need more time to test them, and work out the best combination, that does the least damage to the body, and each thread here about a new product gets us a step closer.

i dont see how a supplement , chemical, or even nanotechnology could ever be a single use type treatment, that reverses it forever without further treatments, unless it somehow addresses those genetic route problems, which i maintain were evolved for some specific purpose such as identifying sexual partners, or identifying wisdom amoungst primates, and therefore only a problem in the eye of our societies views on wats aesthetically pleasing.

so to sum up and answer ur question instead of rambling, i think scientists will fix the genetics component eventually when they find a way around funding problems, in 10 -20 yrs perhaps? remember the human gene pool was only recently mapped, and they r quite quickly working out which genes make which proteins etc.

but to find the perfect combination of treatments, it really just takes common sense, and determination and plenty of people to test things. as evident by wat we r all doing here.

NeverQuit
Regular Poster

Post by NeverQuit » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:44 pm

Oscar Goldman. Believe it or not, Big Foot used to be bald. Not the cue ball sort of deal, but definitely a diffused thinner. I realize one of the sides is an increase in body hair, but I still would consider it.

redbird
Regular Poster

Post by redbird » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:01 pm

goten574 wrote:Never heard of Aderans until now. I bet this is many years from now? Like 10?

What I mean by cure is to have hair and hair growth like a non hair loss suffering person.
Aderans is in phase 2 right now, with some locations in the U.S. (none near me). Once the results of those are known, there will be a better idea of when. I think it could be sooner than 10 years from them, but unfortunately so many things can go wrong.
http://www.aderansresearch.com/ari_clinicupdates.html

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:45 pm

I wish I could just step into a frozen chamber, rest/sleep without aging for 10 years, then wake up again and carry on with my life ... I can dream.

I would imagine in the future, when more effective treatments are available, that baldness will be cured or treated via a shampoo formula.

jdp710
Prolific Poster

Post by jdp710 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:57 pm

The cure for "stopping" Androgenic Alopecia is already here.

Just my humble opinion ...

cuebreeze
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood III

Post by cuebreeze » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:38 am

I also think the 'cure' is already here. Just the right combo needs to be made up to make 'the cure'.

My personal opinion is that it is hypothyroid, blood temperature and scalp muscle related.

I think forum members could work it out first but due to funds, it will be a big company that gets all the glory.

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:35 am

Yes, I bet the cure for baldness is already here too, it has been discussed on the forum but either it was easily dismissed as a joke, or not enough people were trying it or trying it for a long enough time.

Dobika
Regular Poster
Treatment Regimen: Lasers, toco8, scalp exercises, diet, exercise, nioxin

Post by Dobika » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:20 am

Guy's I've been thinking about trying Nizoral shampoo. From what I've read there are a couple formula's, 1% and 2%. Which one is better and how often should it be used? 2 to 3 times a week?

Dobika
Regular Poster
Treatment Regimen: Lasers, toco8, scalp exercises, diet, exercise, nioxin

Post by Dobika » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:11 am

Never mind guy's. The search function actually works here, so I was able to find my answer.
Thanks

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:55 am

I don't think by "cure" ppl mean just halting their hairloss.

amsch
Occasional Poster

Post by amsch » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:09 pm

zixcreator wrote:Just my humble opinion but I don't think baldness can be cured. But it can be prevented with existing therapies.

I'd be willing to bet that this would stop hair loss for 75-80% of all MPB sufferers.

OR:

2. Propecia

3. Nizoral shampoo.

Just my opinion though.
hey joe, are you using lasers too?

amsch
Occasional Poster

Post by amsch » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:50 am

I'd really appreciate a reply, joe. :)

zixcreator
Seasoned Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood V
Treatment Regimen: Zix

Post by zixcreator » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:11 pm

No.....I'm beyond the 30 month window. Treatment would be pointless. I have one on order from OMG though for both my sons.

That said I've never seen more anecdotal evidence for a hair loss treatment. Not even for propecia. Also a trust the word of a great deal of the people making testimonials.

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:08 pm

goten574 wrote:I wish I could just step into a frozen chamber, rest/sleep without aging for 10 years, then wake up again and carry on with my life ... I can dream.

I would imagine in the future, when more effective treatments are available, that baldness will be cured or treated via a shampoo formula.
What if you did that in 1999 and was like "There is going to be a cure by 2009 for sure". You then wake up today and check the internet and find this thread and say to your self "F@#$ ME!".

I am assuming the same thing would happen if you went to sleep today and woke up in 2019.

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:49 pm

hapyman wrote:
goten574 wrote:I wish I could just step into a frozen chamber, rest/sleep without aging for 10 years, then wake up again and carry on with my life ... I can dream.

What if you did that in 1999 and was like "There is going to be a cure by 2009 for sure". You then wake up today and check the internet and find this thread and say to your self "F@#$ ME!".

I am assuming the same thing would happen if you went to sleep today and woke up in 2019.
Yes, that's true but we have several promising treatments in the next 5-10 years involving stemcells and cloning. Did we have that sort of hope in 1999? I don't know, but what I do know is in 1999 I wasn't losing my hair, and now I am. Even if I could pause my life for 10 years, it would buy me more time.

Anxious1
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II A

Post by Anxious1 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:10 pm

and also, in 1999, the human genome wasnt yet mapped. now it MAPPED which means for those that dont know, they have worked out the sequence of basepair's that run between the dna' sugar phosphate backbones.

unfortunately they still have yet to work out wat all these genes do. but its happening very fast, because of the hunderds of scientists working on it.

cuebreeze
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood III

Post by cuebreeze » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:57 pm

Also remember that before the internet was around the general public couldnt share ideas like we do today and the internet has only really kicked off in recent years. Its annoying when old people say there wont be a cure based on how research was coming along years ago because the internet has change things dramtically. You no longer have to read thru books. You make a search and BAM your answer is there.

I think we are close. But even when we find the right thing it will take years of people testing it and word getting out. Alltho i do think once we find the trigger that it will grow back much faster than what we lost it.

LaserKid
Regular Poster

Post by LaserKid » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:37 pm

If you are castrated just after puberty do you develop mpb? Otherwise this could be considered a 'cure', not that I would ever do something that extreme! Also, I've heard that people who are 5aR deficient do not develop mpb?

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:12 pm

LaserKid wrote:If you are castrated just after puberty do you develop mpb? Otherwise this could be considered a 'cure', not that I would ever do something that extreme! Also, I've heard that people who are 5aR deficient do not develop mpb?
I'm not sure, anyone know?

Awaiting Regrowth
Regular Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood I

Post by Awaiting Regrowth » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:37 pm

FACT - Eunicks (sp) never go bald.

chore boy
Prolific Poster
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by chore boy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:47 pm

I believe it's certain folks in the Dominican Republic that are type-2 5ar deficient and they apparently don't bald. I also believe I recall that if castration occurs prior to the onset of MPB, then balding cannot manifest without introduction of androgens (i.e. testosterone) and that balding can progress despite the cessation of androgen administration. Who knows about castration prior to puberty, though... suppose you'd have to find literature discussing exogenous androgen introduction in prepubertal castrates to figure out if the predisposition for balding is present despite puberty never taking place, indicating that puberty might be the time when follicles get the switch to become abnormally sensitive to androgens.
Last edited by chore boy on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chore boy
Prolific Poster

Post by chore boy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:53 pm

Awaiting Regrowth wrote:FACT - Eunicks (sp) never go bald.

Without androgen introduction, yes... but the propensity to bald may still be present and when exogenous androgens are administered, a castrated man may still develop AGA.

I read the original paper but don't really have the time to look it up right now...

"In 1942, the Yale anatomist James B. Hamilton took this observation a step further. He studied a pair of identical twins; one of them was bald, and the other had been castrated in a mental institution and had a full head of hair. Hamilton gave the hairy twin shots of testosterone and watched to see what would happen. (He later repeated the experiment with more than a hundred other castrated inmates, with similar results.) Within a few months, the patient was as bald as his brother, and his locks never grew back."

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/su ... 648915_ITM

chore boy
Prolific Poster

Post by chore boy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:02 pm

WTF... this one is saying that Hamilton's castrate was a prepubertal example... but yet, the other article says that the castration occured in a mental hospital. I suppose the kid could have been locked up his whole life in a looney bin but why would they castrate him.. to seee to it that he doesn't risk reproducing a challenged child?

"The triggering of male pattern baldness by testosterone was discovered in the 1940s by James Hamilton in the USA. He used for his study a number of men who had been castrated before puberty - a treatment fortunately no longer carried out for boys showing what they described as "aberrant behaviour". These men would never have been exposed to testosterone.

Hamilton discovered a pair of twins, one of whom had been castrated before puberty and the other who hadn't. The castrated twin had, at the age of 40, a full head of hair; the normal twin had been balding for twenty years. Hamilton in the interests of science, gave testosterone to the castrated twin and within a six month period, the latter had become as bald as the brother had over a twenty year period."

http://www.northernconcord.org.uk/HairLoss.htm

chore boy
Prolific Poster

Post by chore boy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:07 pm

Edit... I guess they may have used to perform castrations in mental hospitals as a means to control hostile individuals? Wow.

0416Dr
Prolific Poster
Treatment Regimen: Niz

Post by 0416Dr » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:03 pm

I think by scientist, but we might be the breakthrough? :?:
I went to buy a camouflage jacket the other day but I couldn't find any.

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:15 pm

zixcreator wrote:Just my humble opinion but I don't think baldness can be cured. But it can be prevented with existing therapies.

OR:

2. Propecia

3. Nizoral shampoo.

Just my opinion though.

I think there is enough knowledge out there to slow hairloss and thicken existing hair.

There a few smart people out there who Im sure will advance regrowth prospects.

Regards
Pete

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:17 am

chore boy wrote:Edit... I guess they may have used to perform castrations in mental hospitals as a means to control hostile individuals? Wow.
Yeah mental hospitals were very barbaric back then. Just look at electro shock therapy. Also they used to drill holes in peoples skulls and perform lobotomies on people without consent. Just crazy what they thought was therapy back then.

Dex!!!!
Occasional Poster

Post by Dex!!!! » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:42 am

The cure has been found. It's a full recovery that will never happen.

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:52 am

Lobotomy sends shivers down my whole body... urgh how disturbing...

Prolific Poster
Treatment Regimen: 300 diode Laser Messiah II
IH's top 3 plus resv
4 Shampoo rotation
Mag Oil 3x a week
Scalpure
Adding Super Zix 2, PP topical, and Pauling Protocol

Post by 1..... » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:39 pm

whats everyone's view on the best combination to prevent hairloss right now?

Lady Jo
Regular Poster

Post by Lady Jo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:01 pm

0416Dr wrote:I think by scientist, but we might be the breakthrough? :?:
Agree.
Scientists might discover it but am sure they will learn a lot with this forum and with the forum members.
Will you still love me when my hair has turned to gray?