Study shows people with MPB do NOT have higher levels of insulin resistance

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Study shows people with MPB do NOT have higher levels of insulin resistance

Post by HairLossFight.com » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:07 am

From Pubmed:

A recent study shows that people with MPB do NOT have higher levels of insulin resistance than people without MPB:
1: Clin Exp Dermatol. 2009 Mar 23. [Epub ahead of print]Click here to read Links
Androgenic alopecia and insulin resistance: are they really related?
Nabaie L, Kavand S, Robati RM, Sarrafi-Rad N, Kavand S, Shahgholi L, Meshkat-Razavi G.

Skin Research Centre, Shahid Beheshti University, M.C. Shohada-e Tajrish Hospital, Tehran, Iran.

Summary Background. Androgenic alopecia is known to be androgen-dependent. Insulin is found in hair follicles and may play a role in the regulation of androgen metabolism and the hair-growth cycle. Objectives. To compare the insulin resistance between people with androgenic alopecia and a control group. Methods. A case-control study was conducted with 97 cases in the patient and 87 in the control group. Serum fasting insulin level, fasting blood glucose, serum total cholesterol, triglyceride and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) were all measured in both groups. Results. There was no difference in serum fasting insulin level, fasting blood glucose, serum total cholesterol, triglyceride, HDL and insulin resistance between the two groups (P > 0.05). Conclusion. Despite previous reports suggesting a link, our study found no significant relationship between insulin resistance and androgenic alopecia. Further studies are warranted.

PMID: 19323660 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
I personally will still keep my refined sugar intake low and under control. I know for a fact that it has helped me, in more ways than just a healthier scalp. I also had rosacea for years. As soon as I brought sugar under control it virtually disappeared. I just think it makes sense to keep your diet healthy whether you're losing your hair or not.

Pete2
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Re: Study shows people with MPB do NOT have higher levels of insulin resistance

Post by Pete2 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:32 pm

HairLossFight.com wrote:From Pubmed:

A recent study shows that people with MPB do NOT have higher levels of insulin resistance than people without MPB:
1: Clin Exp Dermatol. 2009 Mar 23. [Epub ahead of print]Click here to read Links
Androgenic alopecia and insulin resistance: are they really related?
Nabaie L, Kavand S, Robati RM, Sarrafi-Rad N, Kavand S, Shahgholi L, Meshkat-Razavi G.

Skin Research Centre, Shahid Beheshti University, M.C. Shohada-e Tajrish Hospital, Tehran, Iran.

Summary Background. Androgenic alopecia is known to be androgen-dependent. Insulin is found in hair follicles and may play a role in the regulation of androgen metabolism and the hair-growth cycle. Objectives. To compare the insulin resistance between people with androgenic alopecia and a control group. Methods. A case-control study was conducted with 97 cases in the patient and 87 in the control group. Serum fasting insulin level, fasting blood glucose, serum total cholesterol, triglyceride and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) were all measured in both groups. Results. There was no difference in serum fasting insulin level, fasting blood glucose, serum total cholesterol, triglyceride, HDL and insulin resistance between the two groups (P > 0.05). Conclusion. Despite previous reports suggesting a link, our study found no significant relationship between insulin resistance and androgenic alopecia. Further studies are warranted.

PMID: 19323660 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
I personally will still keep my refined sugar intake low and under control. I know for a fact that it has helped me, in more ways than just a healthier scalp. I also had rosacea for years. As soon as I brought sugar under control it virtually disappeared. I just think it makes sense to keep your diet healthy whether you're losing your hair or not.

I think Lifestyle factors are involved ie sugar levels , cholesterol, hormones levels and many younger balding folks high levels of stress hormones. I do feel that there are interlinks with heart problems and baldness.

Regards
Pete