Kirkland Minoxidil vs. Rogaine

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

stan21
Regular Poster

Kirkland Minoxidil vs. Rogaine

Post by stan21 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:55 pm

I used Rogaine for a few months and it didn't seem to do much for me. My friend told me about a product from Costco called Kirkland Minoxidil which is supposed to be the same thing as Rogaine, but is it really the same? Why is Rogaine more expensive then?

I'm thinking of trying it but just wanted to see if anyone has an opinion one way or the other.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Re: Kirkland Minoxidil vs. Rogaine

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:11 am

I've used both.

Check out my review of Kirkland Minoxidil: http://www.hairlossfight.com/product_re ... review.php

I would use the Kirkland brand if money is an issue.

The fact that Rogaine is more expensive has nothing to do with it working better, it's just that the Upjohn, the maker of Rogaine can get away with charging more for it because of brand awareness.

Regards,
Sam

stan21
Regular Poster

Post by stan21 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:24 pm

Thanks Sam.

I'm going to costco today to pick some up.

Another question: Do you use it exactly like the instructions say? Twice a day 1ml? I feel the urge to keep applying it multiple times a day. Is this ok?

stan

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:24 am

Hi Stan,

I know the urge. I used to want to keep applying minox multiple times a day. At one point I was literally applying it 3 or more times a day. It worked, to a degree. But over time I developed sensitivity to topicals because I was using them so much. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it happened to me.

Also, too much minox, even topical, can lead to lowered blood pressure and heart palpitations. That's not a justifiable risk for fighting hair loss.

I would use it no more than what the instructions say. If you want to use it more times a day, then make sure the overall quantity you apply is still within the 2ml limit.

Sam