Bloated face on minox...

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

avgjoe
Regular Poster
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Promox
Nizoral
HairMax

Bloated face on minox...

Post by avgjoe » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi all

I've been using Promox for a while now, and Ithink my face looks slightly chubbier than normal. What can I do to reduce the bloat?

goten574
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Re: Bloated face on minox...

Post by goten574 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:21 pm

I am against the drug you are taking and would recommend you reduce your dosage or stop taking it. Bloated face is a fairly common side effect for thoses who do get side effects with Minoxidil. I am wondering what other side effects could be happening that you are not aware of? Who knows...

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by OverMachoGrande » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:50 am

Hey, avgjoe...

I don't have an answer for you, but I want to tell you my personal experiences with that.

Lots of you guys know that I didn't have results with minox, it made my hair worse than it would have been, and I think that actually happens on a large scale. That's besides the point, though, with what I'm about to say.

There have been "studies" that show that too much minox can INHIBIT hair growth (I don't have the link, it's at the expired forum and I'll try to get it). Well, that may be a mega dose for all I know, but the fact is that in my personal experience... I tried a lot of minoxes, and minox FOAM devestated my hair -we are talking about horrible shedding and the premature death of follicles. Well, minox foam also happened to be the only minox out of the many different brands that I've tried that actually bloated my face.

So, I made a conclusion from that, and I don't have a problem applying that to all minox's with me -whether it's the foam or not. We're all obviously different, but I believe that in my case that the face bloat was a sign that I was getting TOO MUCH MINOX -which I obviously was (face bloat AND a racy heart). I don't think it was an accident that my hair got destroyed worse than any other minox by the brand that gave me the most sides.

All I'm saying is that this could be the case with you, so if you don't see results from this, and if you see your hair degrading instead of getting better... I would say that's a sign to dump that brand -if not altogether.

Those are my thoughts!

-O.M.G.
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...

jdp710
Prolific Poster

Post by jdp710 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:56 am

Here's the study N0RWEGIANKid posted

--------------------------------------------------------------

( http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/470297_5 ), saying :

"Boyera et al. [44] studied the effect of minoxidil on human keratinocytes of epidermal and hair follicle origin using a range of different culture conditions and proliferative markers. They found that micromolar concentrations of minoxidil stimulated proliferation in both cell types and in all culture conditions, whereas millimolar concentrations inhibited cell growth"

"Studies using fibroblasts have yielded similarly variable results. Murad and Pinnell[48] reported that high concentrations of minoxidil inhibited growth of human skin fibroblasts."

Lakers
Occasional Poster

Post by Lakers » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:16 am

I too got bloated face on Foam and lost a lot of ground after a four month bout with that crap product. I regret the day I got it at costco so much.

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by OverMachoGrande » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:13 pm

Lakers wrote:I too got bloated face on Foam and lost a lot of ground after a four month bout with that crap product. I regret the day I got it at costco so much.
Yeah, I asked this at HairLossHelp a long time ago: "Is there anyone out there that DOES get a bloated face, and DOES get results with minox?" ...and I never got a positive response.

I really think that the side effect of a bloated face means that you are getting too much minoxidil, which probably means you have a good chance of inhibiting growth so you should dump it immediately.

For those of you that don't know, you will KNOW when you have a bloated face versus just being a fat ass... it just doesn't look right. I think I deleted the pictures I had from that time period because it was just horrible looking -and yep, it went away after I quit it.

-O.M.G.
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...